Assistance with Vertical Terminal Velocity motion - What do you think?

In summary, a parachutist falls vertically with a uniform speed of 12 m/s. At 50m above the ground, the parachutist drops a coin. The coin reaches the ground in 2.16 seconds and the parachutist reaches the ground in 4.16 seconds. The time difference between the coin and parachutist reaching the ground is 2 seconds. This question can be solved by using the equation t = x/v, as the parachutist is traveling at a constant velocity with zero acceleration.
TheKovac

Homework Statement

A parachutist is falling vertically with a uniform speed of 12 m/s. At the instant he is 50m above the ground, he drops a coin. (Ignore Air Resistance)
A) What is the seed with which the coin strikes the ground?
b) How long does it take for the coin to reach the ground

C) WHAT IS THE TIME DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE COIN AND PARACHUTIST REACHING THE GROUND?

Homework Equations

v^2 = u^@ + 2ax
x=Ut+0.5at^2
x=0.5(u+v)t
v=u+at

The Attempt at a Solution

a)
=> v^2 = 12^2 +2(9.8)(50)
final velocity of coin= 33.53m/s RIGHT

b)
x=ut + 0.5at^2
50= 12t +0.5(9.8)t^2
4.9t^2 +12t -50=0
time for coin to reach ground = 2.19s

c) =?

Is this question able to be solved, with the current data, because I believe I would need mass or total displacement to correctly work the answer.

Can someone please help me on how to go about answering such a question as this.

Kindest Regards,
TheKovac

Physics news on Phys.org
HINT: The parachutist is traveling at constant velocity.

My goodness, could be as simple as:

t= x/a
=> t= 50/9.8

Which would result in:

t= 4.16s
=> t(coin)= 2.16s
=> t(parachute) = 4.16s
t(difference) = 2s

Is that how simple the answer is?

Your close, but be careful. What is the definition of velocity?

Velocity = Vector quantity of the rate of change of displacement.

So I am missing direction? Thats it?

TheKovac said:
Velocity = Vector quantity of the rate of change of displacement.

So I am missing direction? Thats it?
Not quite, speed is defined as the magnitude of velocity, or the rate of change of distance with time,

[tex]|v| = \frac{dx}{dt}[/tex]

not

[tex]|v| \neq \frac{da}{dt}[/tex]

as you had. In this case the acceleration is zero.

So with that in mind, is this how to work the difference?

If the velocity is constant, then can we use t = x/v ?

t(parachutist)= 50/12
t(parachutisit)= 4.16
t(coin) = 2.16s
t(difference) = 2s

I think this one is right?

I worked out that my problem above, is that I used the equation for acceleration, when Acceleration was Zero, instead I should have used the equation for velocity, right?

TheKovac said:
So with that in mind, is this how to work the difference?

If the velocity is constant, then can we use t = x/v ?

t(parachutist)= 50/12
t(parachutisit)= 4.16
t(coin) = 2.16s
t(difference) = 2s

I think this one is right?
I've not checked your arithmetic, but your method is correct, as it is for all the previous questions :approve:

1. What is vertical terminal velocity motion?

Vertical terminal velocity motion is the constant downward motion of an object falling through a fluid, such as air or water, when the upward force of drag equals the downward force of gravity. This results in a constant speed known as terminal velocity.

2. How is terminal velocity calculated?

The formula for calculating terminal velocity is Vt = √(2mg/ρACd), where Vt is terminal velocity, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, ρ is the density of the fluid, A is the cross-sectional area of the object, and Cd is the drag coefficient.

3. What factors affect terminal velocity?

The factors that affect terminal velocity include the mass and shape of the object, the density and viscosity of the fluid, and the force of gravity. Objects with a larger mass or a less aerodynamic shape will have a higher terminal velocity, while denser or more viscous fluids will result in a lower terminal velocity.

4. How can we assist with vertical terminal velocity motion?

To assist with vertical terminal velocity motion, we can manipulate the factors that affect terminal velocity. This can be done by changing the mass or shape of the object, altering the properties of the fluid, or adjusting the force of gravity. Additionally, we can use technology such as parachutes or air resistance devices to slow down the object's descent and reduce its terminal velocity.

5. Why is understanding terminal velocity important?

Understanding terminal velocity is important in various fields such as engineering, physics, and aviation. It helps us calculate the maximum speed an object can reach during free fall, which is crucial for designing safe and effective equipment and structures. It also allows us to predict and control the motion of objects in fluid environments, improving the efficiency and safety of various processes and activities.