Should I Complete an Associate Degree or Pursue a Minor in Computer Science?

In summary, it depends on what courses you take and their content. It is generally better to have a computer science degree, but if you want to do software development, a minor in computer science can be helpful.
preceptor1919
Hello!So here's the scenario:

I'm currently in 1st year Computer Science in a college and I plan to get all the first year subjects required to transfer into engineering in a university next year. But as I am taking this programming course, I got really hooked and suddenly got interested in computer science as well. So here is my question: Is it more advisable to finish my associate degree here in college and then transfer in uni, or should I transfer to uni next year and get engineering with a minor in computer science. You can say that I am really determined to get an electrical engineering and computer science knowledge, I just don't know if an associate degree or minor is better to go with the engineering degree. What's the difference between the two? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Which courses/classes would you take for a associate's degree in CS, and which ones would take for a minor at the university? You should be able to look those up on the college and university web sites.

In general, what matters is the courses that you take and their content, rather than the label on your degree.

Here are the computer science courses i am required for the associate degree in Langara College and also some courses that I will take for the electives

Introduction to Computer Science
Program Design
Algorithms and Data Structures I
Object-oriented Computing
Algorithms and Data Structures II

[URL='http://langara.bc.ca/programs-and-courses/courses/CPSC/1280.html']Unix Tools and Scripting[/URL]
Computing Architecture

Digital Systems Design
Computer and Information Security
and here are the courses that I will take for a minor in UBC(i'm not sure if it's a minor though, they call it mini stream now, there was a minor about 2 months ago when I checked but I can't find it anymore).This is a software development stream

computation,programs and programming
software construction
software engineering
programming languages
software project
advanced software engineeringany thoughts?

1. What is an associate degree?

An associate degree is an undergraduate academic degree typically earned after completing a two-year program of study at a community college, technical school, or university. It is often seen as a stepping stone towards a bachelor's degree or as a standalone credential for certain career paths.

2. What is a minor?

A minor is a secondary field of study that students can choose to complement their major. It typically involves completing a smaller set of courses within a specific subject area, usually around 18-24 credits. Minors can provide additional knowledge and skills that can enhance a student's major or career prospects.

3. Can I have both an associate degree and a minor?

Yes, it is possible to have both an associate degree and a minor. However, it depends on the specific requirements and policies of the institution. Some universities may allow students to earn a minor while completing their associate degree, while others may not offer minors at all.

4. Which one is better, an associate degree or a minor?

It ultimately depends on your career goals and the specific requirements of your chosen field. An associate degree may be more beneficial if you are looking for a technical or vocational career, while a minor can be helpful if you want to specialize in a certain subject within your major. It is important to research and consult with an academic advisor to determine the best option for you.

5. Do employers value associate degrees and minors equally?

It depends on the employer and the job position. Some employers may see an associate degree as a valuable credential that demonstrates a certain level of education and training, while others may value specific skills gained through a minor. It is important to highlight both your associate degree and minor, as well as any relevant skills, on your resume and during job interviews.