Associated Matrix Arithmetics: How is a Complex Number Associated with a Matrix?

• Thread starter IrinaK.
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
In summary, the person is asking for an explanation on how to solve an exercise involving complex numbers and matrices. They are struggling to understand the question and how to proceed. They provide their attempt at a solution, but are unsure if it is correct. The other person explains that it may be a poorly worded question and asks if they can see how the complex number is associated with the matrix. They then provide further guidance on how to solve the exercise.
IrinaK.

Homework Statement

Hello!
I would be grateful for an explanation of how to proceed with this exercise (see attached). I don't understand what is being asked.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Let's take only multiplication. z*w
I assumed that I have to multiply (a+bi)(c+di) = ac + c(bi) + a(di) + (bi)(di)
If I multiply Z and W, I get what is show on the picture attached.
How does it mirror z*w?

PS I am studying on my own, without teachers, therefore I would be grateful for your patience and help!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-09-23 at 2.00.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-09-23 at 2.00.41 PM.png
    33.5 KB · Views: 425
  • Screen Shot 2014-09-23 at 2.06.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-09-23 at 2.06.53 PM.png
    17.7 KB · Views: 455
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi.
It's a badly worded question, I think. First we have to know what the questions means when it says the complex number z is 'associated' with the matrix Z. Can you see how they got the matrix Z from the complex number z?That's what the question means when it says the number z is associated with the matrix Z.

It's easier to start with addition, but since you've done the multiplication we'll start with that. They want you to show how the matrix ZW is associated with the number zw. Let's say V=ZW and v=zw. In your solution you found V=ZW, so now you have to find the number v=zw. Then look at how the number z is associated with the matrix Z, and then look if you can see how v and V are associated.

1. What is an associated matrix in matrix arithmetics?

An associated matrix is a square matrix that represents a linear transformation on a vector space. It is obtained by multiplying the original matrix with a fixed transformation matrix. This allows for efficient computation of transformations on vectors.

2. How is matrix addition related to associated matrices?

Matrix addition is commutative and associative, which means that the order in which matrices are added does not affect the result. This property is also applicable to associated matrices, making it easier to perform matrix operations.

3. Can associated matrices be used to solve systems of equations?

Yes, associated matrices can be used to solve systems of linear equations. By representing the system of equations as a matrix equation, it can be solved by performing matrix operations on the associated matrix.

4. What are the limitations of using associated matrix arithmetics?

Associated matrix arithmetics is limited to linear transformations and cannot be used for non-linear transformations. Additionally, it is only applicable to square matrices and cannot be used for matrices of different dimensions.

5. How is the inverse of an associated matrix calculated?

The inverse of an associated matrix can be calculated by using the inverse of the transformation matrix used to create it. This allows for efficient computation of the inverse without having to perform complex operations on the original matrix.