Association between nominal and continuous variables

In summary, the Mann-Whitney U test is used to determine if there is an association between a nominal variable and a continuous variable by comparing the means and standard deviations of two independent samples. The closer the resulting U value is to 1, the stronger the association between the two variables.
hellofolks
Suppose you have two random samples of the profit margins obtained by two
stock traders, Trader A and Trader B. The first data set consists of 18
data, and the second has 21.

I want to check if there is association between the variables
"type of trader" (values A or B) and "profit margin". In words,
I need to find out if the choice of trader influences the profit
margin obtained.

Since the observations are not paired and, after all,
the numbers of observations are distinct, I cannot use
the linear correlation coefficient formula.

I know there is a formula to verify if a nominal (discrete)
variable and a continuous varible are associated. I also
know it involves the means and standard deviations of
both data sets. I have been told, too, that it gives a result
ranging from 0 to 1 and that, the closer it is to 1, the stroger
is the association.

The trouble is I missed the class about the formula
and it has proven really hard to find it on the web, since
I don't know its name. So I would really appreciate if you guys
could write it down for me. I need it as soon as possible and
I can't ask my teacher right now; so I really need your help.

If the data sets are needed, I can provide them. But I don't think
they're necessary, now that it's only the formula what I need. I
already know how to solve the problem.

Thanks in advance,
hellofolks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The formula you are looking for is called the Mann-Whitney U test. It is used to compare two independent samples to determine if there is a statistically significant difference between the two samples. The formula is: U = n1n2 + (n1(n1+1))/2 -∑Ri where n1 and n2 are the number of observations in each sample, and ∑Ri is the sum of the ranks from the first sample. The resulting U value can then be compared to a critical value from a Mann-Whitney table to determine if the difference between the two samples is statistically significant.

What is the association between nominal and continuous variables?

The association between nominal and continuous variables refers to the relationship or correlation between two types of variables. Nominal variables are categorical or qualitative in nature, while continuous variables are numerical and can take on any value within a certain range. Understanding the association between these two types of variables can help in analyzing and interpreting data.

How do you determine the association between nominal and continuous variables?

The association between nominal and continuous variables can be determined using statistical methods such as chi-square tests, ANOVA, or correlation coefficients. These tests can measure the strength and direction of the relationship between the variables.

Can you have a significant association between nominal and continuous variables?

Yes, it is possible to have a significant association between nominal and continuous variables. This means that there is a strong relationship between the two variables, and the results are unlikely to be due to chance. However, a significant association does not necessarily imply a causal relationship.

What is the difference between association and causation?

Association refers to a relationship or correlation between two variables, while causation implies a cause-and-effect relationship between the variables. Just because two variables are associated does not mean that one causes the other. Further research and analysis are needed to establish causation.

How can understanding the association between nominal and continuous variables be useful?

Understanding the association between nominal and continuous variables can be useful in various fields such as social sciences, healthcare, and marketing. It can help in identifying patterns, making predictions, and understanding the factors that influence a particular outcome. This knowledge can also aid in making informed decisions and developing effective strategies.