Associative Law for Multiplication - Probability Theory and Boolean Algebra

In summary, we can use the distributive property and De Morgan's rules to prove that P((AB)C) = P(A(BC)) using the given equations. This is because both sides have the same structure, with different variables, and De Morgan's rule for conditional probabilities shows that the order of the variables does not affect the outcome of the probability. Keep up the great work!
FabianS
Hi, I'm having some trouble solving one of the problems from my homework assignment.

Homework Statement

Prove:

[tex]P((AB)C) = P(A(BC))[/tex]​

Where A,B,C are either true or false.

Homework Equations

We can't do this by using a truth table, we can use the following equations:

[tex]P(A + B) = P(A) + P(B) - P(AB)[/tex]

[tex]P(AB | C) = P(A | BC) + P(B | C)[/tex]

[tex]P(A | B) + P(\bar{A} | B) = 1[/tex]

and De Morgan's rules.

The Attempt at a Solution

The way I have approached it is by stating that if (AB)C = A(BC) then their probabilities must be equal, as well.
I have checked on multiple sites and they either just assume this to be true (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boolean_logic#Properties", page 6). So, I tried something similar:

[tex]X = (ab)c[/tex]
[tex]Y = a(bc)[/tex]

[tex]aX = a((ab)c) = (a(ab))(ac) = (ab)(ac) = a(bc)[/tex]
[tex]aY = a(a(bc)) = a(bc) = Y[/tex]

[tex]aX = Y = aY[/tex]
[tex]X = Y[/tex]I'm not very good a proving this type property, and I feel like I'm going around in circles. Is this correct or is there some better way of doing this?

Fabian

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Dear Fabian,

Thank you for reaching out for help with your homework problem. I understand that you are having trouble proving the property P((AB)C) = P(A(BC)) using the given equations and De Morgan's rules. I will try my best to guide you through the process.

Firstly, let's break down the given property into smaller parts. We have P((AB)C) on one side and P(A(BC)) on the other side. Using the distributive property, we can write (AB)C as (A(CB)). Now, we can see that both sides have the same structure, with different variables. This is a good starting point.

Next, we can use the equation P(AB | C) = P(A | BC) + P(B | C) to rewrite P((AB)C) as P(A | BC) + P(B | C) + P(C). Similarly, we can rewrite P(A(BC)) as P(A | CB) + P(B | C) + P(C). Now, we can see that both sides have the same structure and the only difference is the order of the variables in the conditional probabilities.

This is where De Morgan's rules come in. We can use De Morgan's rule for conditional probabilities, which states that P(A | BC) = P(A | CB), to show that both sides are equal. This is because P(A | BC) represents the probability of A given that both B and C are true, while P(A | CB) represents the probability of A given that both C and B are true. Since the order of the variables does not affect the outcome of the probability, both sides are equal.

In conclusion, we have shown that P((AB)C) = P(A(BC)) using the given equations and De Morgan's rules. I hope this helps you understand the property better and gives you a starting point for your proof. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Best of luck with your homework,

1. What is the Associative Law for Multiplication in probability theory and Boolean algebra?

The Associative Law for Multiplication states that the order in which operations are performed does not affect the result when multiplying multiple expressions. In probability theory and Boolean algebra, this means that the result of multiplying several events or variables together will be the same regardless of how they are grouped or parenthesized.

2. How is the Associative Law for Multiplication used in probability theory?

In probability theory, the Associative Law for Multiplication is used to simplify calculations involving multiple events. By rearranging the order of operations, complex probability expressions can be broken down into simpler ones, making it easier to calculate the overall probability.

3. Can the Associative Law for Multiplication be applied to any number of expressions?

Yes, the Associative Law for Multiplication can be applied to any number of expressions. This means that it is valid for two, three, four, or any other number of expressions that are being multiplied together.

4. What is the difference between the Associative Law for Multiplication and the Commutative Law for Multiplication?

While the Associative Law for Multiplication deals with the grouping of operations, the Commutative Law for Multiplication deals with the order of operations. The Commutative Law states that the order in which two expressions are multiplied does not affect the result, while the Associative Law deals with the grouping of three or more expressions.

5. Can the Associative Law for Multiplication be applied to variables in Boolean algebra?

Yes, the Associative Law for Multiplication can be applied to variables in Boolean algebra. In this case, the variables are treated as binary values (either true or false) and the law holds true. This allows for simplification of Boolean expressions, making them easier to analyze and manipulate.