Assume that x is a positive multiple of 5 and is greater than 5.

In summary, the equation 2x+1<100 is given and it is assumed that x is a positive multiple of 5 and is greater than 5. By manipulating the inequality and using the fact that x is a multiple of 5, it is determined that there are 6 possible values for x. However, the solution provided states that there are 17 possible values for x by considering x as a multiple of 2.5 and eliminating certain values. This is due to a misprint in the question where it should have stated 2x as a positive multiple of 5 instead of just x.
fleazo

Homework Statement

Assume that x is a positive multiple of 5 and is greater than 5. If 2x + 1 < 100, how many values for x are possible?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

How I solved the problem

First manipulated inequality:

2x+1<100
=>
2x < 99
=>
x < 49.5

Now, x is a multiple of 5 => x = 5k for some integer k > 1 (because we are given that x > 5)

x < 49.5 => 5k < 49.5 => k < 9.9

So the possible values of k (since k is an integer > 1):
2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

So there are 6 values, namely: 5(2), 5(3), 5(4), 5(6), 5(7), 5(8), 5(9) - 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45

Solution they have given:

The correct answer is 17. (To gain credit for answering the question correctly you must type the number 17 in the numeric-entry box.) Given that 2x is a multiple of 5, x must be a multiple of 2.5. The total number of such multiples from 2.5 to 50 is 20. Given that x is greater than 5 and that 2x + 1 < 100, you must eliminate 2.5, 5.0, and 50 from the list of 20 multiples, which leaves 17 possible values for x.

I am very confused by the solution they have given and have no idea what aspect of this problem I am interpreting incorrectly

Physics news on Phys.org
fleazo said:

Homework Statement

Assume that x is a positive multiple of 5 and is greater than 5. If 2x + 1 < 100, how many values for x are possible?

Solution they have given:

The correct answer is 17. (To gain credit for answering the question correctly you must type the number 17 in the numeric-entry box.) Given that 2x is a multiple of 5, x must be a multiple of 2.5. The total number of such multiples from 2.5 to 50 is 20. Given that x is greater than 5 and that 2x + 1 < 100, you must eliminate 2.5, 5.0, and 50 from the list of 20 multiples, which leaves 17 possible values for x.

I am very confused by the solution they have given and have no idea what aspect of this problem I am interpreting incorrectly

This seems to be the problem.

hi fleazo! :smile:
fleazo said:

Given that 2x is a multiple of 5, x must be a multiple of 2.5.

clearly, there's a misprint, and the question should start "Assume that 2x is a positive multiple of 5" :wink:

oh ok, thank you guys so much, I guess I should have seen that, I was just looking at it thinking, what the hell am I doing wrong

1. What does it mean for x to be a positive multiple of 5?

It means that x can be divided evenly by 5 without any remainder.

2. Can x be any number greater than 5?

Yes, as long as it is a positive multiple of 5.

3. Does x have to be an integer?

No, x can be any positive multiple of 5, including decimals or fractions.

4. How many possible values can x have?

There are infinite possible values for x, as long as they are positive multiples of 5 and greater than 5.

5. Can x be a negative number?

No, since the question specifies that x must be positive, it cannot be a negative number.