1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Astable linear solenoid?

1. Sep 15, 2015 #1
    I enjoy doing kitchen engineering with my kids. We were looking to do a robotics experiment which would require a linear solenoid actuator to continuously pump. I thought it would be simple until I realized that I would likely need a 555 chip(?) and some skills with circuitry...which would be fine if that was the lesson for me and my kids. Basically...anybody know where I might purchase a linear solenoid that is in the astable position. They seem surprisingly hard to come by? Thank you! Sorry this isn't an academic question.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2015 #2
    Thank you Nidum. I was the one that posted to the original thread you site. After taking what you said from that one I did online searching on building a simple circuit but it would take me some time to figure out and experiment as I am on level 2 with circuitry. My interest is in mechanical motion. I'd like to learn circuitry but time and our exercise we are doing is on robotic motion. I went to youtube and there are some basic set ups but I find myself straining to see how they wired the solenoid. And then the online look up seems that using a 555 chip is the way to go. If I can get by with out having to do circuitry that would be great.

4. Sep 15, 2015 #3

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There is an alternative solution using a motor and crank to push and pull a rod continuously and at an easily controlled rate .

Simple model boat motors will be ok .

If you are interested in robotics then look into simple stepper motor applications . Much of what you would need for experimentation can be bought ready made and there is an easy road to computer control .

5. Sep 15, 2015 #4

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

6. Sep 18, 2015 #5

Baluncore

Science Advisor

Time delay relays are old technology. You can make an astable solenoid by including a big lump of iron in the magnetic path. It takes so long to magnetise and demagnetise the core that the solenoid switches very slowly. A relay contact on the solenoid can be used to sense the state and power the coil when the solenoid gap opens.

A magnetic time delay relay can control the power to a larger solenoid. A flyback diode can be used to adjust the symmetry of operation.
    What period of operation do you want for the On and for the Off states ?

7. Sep 19, 2015 #6

JBA

How you want to apply this solenoid- pump combination?
    Is it to provide a continuous flow or more like a plunger to cycle something connected to the end of a liquid filled tube?
    If you want something that will simply provide a liquid/gas flow; then, have you considered using a standard electric micro pump?
    There are a variety of small diaphragm liquid and gas pumps available on line with a wide range of delivery rates and operating voltages.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook