Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Astable speed control.

1. Feb 23, 2009 #1

madmike159

Gold Member

I am making a project to control the speed of a DC motor using an astable. I need to be able to change the speed of an astable (555, or one made from gate) using about 8 different voltages.

The only way I can think to do this is with a MOSFET was a voltage controlled resistor, but no one can ever get these to work.

Can any one think of another way of varing the astable's speed or a way to implement the MOSFET?

Mike

Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2009 #2
    Call me stupid but whats an "astable"?

4. Feb 23, 2009 #3

madmike159

Gold Member

Its also known as an oscillator, it creates continuous pulses at a set speed. It is often used in timing circuits.

5. Feb 23, 2009 #4

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

That means that you're getting a periodic waveform (e.g. a square wave for a clock) instead of a single pulse (monostable) or toggling the state (bistable)

As for the original post, if you're using a microcontroller for this, you're better off using the PWM generation feature. You can also use a digital potentiometer, but these are usually digitally controlled. Unless you want to start cascading comparators to control a parallel-input digital pot.

6. Feb 23, 2009 #5

madmike159

Gold Member

No I think I'll stick with my VCR. I will look into the other ideas though, thanks for the help.

If any one has any more ideas it would be much appreciated.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook