1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Asteroid/Angular Momentum Problem

1. Nov 14, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A spherical asteroid with radius r = 123m and mass M = 2.10×1010 kg rotates about an axis at four revolutions per day. A "tug" spaceship attaches itself to the asteroid's south pole (as defined by the axis of rotation) and fires its engine, applying a force F tangentially to the
    asteroid's surface as shown in the figure.If F = 265N, how long will it take the tug to rotate the asteroid's axis of rotation through an angle of 10.0 degrees by this method?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I solved for the angular acceleration using that net torque is equal to the moment of inertia times the angular acceleration. After that I used constant angular acceleration equations to solve for the final angular velocity and then solved for time t. However, this is not giving the right answer and I would appreciate any help. The system I considered was the asteroid itself, so the spaceship applies a external torque and I said angular momentum wasn't conserved. Thanks in advance for the help.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted