Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Asteroid database

1. Oct 27, 2007 #1
    Hi guys,

Do any of you know where I can find an asteroid database. I have sky coordinates (RA and Dec) and Julian date and I want to search to see if there are any asteroids around the provided coordinates at the given date.

I guess a better question would be if there is actually a database like that around at all?

I'm just asking if any of you know of something like this off hand, but if you don't then the only solutions is to just keep looking :).
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2007 #2

D H

Staff: Mentor

4. Oct 28, 2007 #3
    Excellent! That seems to do what I want it to do. Although I don't relly understand why you would need to enter in a location because the RA and Dec are independent of observer location aren't they?

Thanks for the link!!
  5. Oct 28, 2007 #4

D H

Staff: Mentor

I can think of two reasons:
    • To make a pedantic correction for the offset from the center of the Earth to the observer location.
    • The information is needed for one of the search options (zenith angle). Always asking for the observer location ensures the needed data are present when the user searches by zenith angle.
  6. Oct 28, 2007 #5

Science Advisor

7. Oct 28, 2007 #6
    haha I can't believe I didn't see the zenith search option. It's going to take some time to complete my search :(.

Thanks again guys!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?