Asteroid Database: Find Objects with RA, Dec & Julian Date

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for an asteroid database using sky coordinates and Julian date. The participants suggest using http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/ which has a small body search engine and the option to search by zenith angle. Another resource mentioned is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_asteroids, which has a lot of information but is not a database. The conversation ends with thanks for the help.
big man
Hi guys,

Do any of you know where I can find an asteroid database. I have sky coordinates (RA and Dec) and Julian date and I want to search to see if there are any asteroids around the provided coordinates at the given date.

I guess a better question would be if there is actually a database like that around at all?

I'm just asking if any of you know of something like this off hand, but if you don't then the only solutions is to just keep looking :).

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Excellent! That seems to do what I want it to do. Although I don't relly understand why you would need to enter in a location because the RA and Dec are independent of observer location aren't they?

Thanks for the link!

I can think of two reasons:
  • To make a pedantic correction for the offset from the center of the Earth to the observer location.
  • The information is needed for one of the search options (zenith angle). Always asking for the observer location ensures the needed data are present when the user searches by zenith angle.

haha I can't believe I didn't see the zenith search option. It's going to take some time to complete my search :(.

Thanks again guys!

1. What is an asteroid database?

An asteroid database is a collection of information about asteroids, including their positions (RA and Dec) and their dates of observation (Julian Date).

2. How is the database organized?

The database is typically organized in a tabular format, with each row representing a different asteroid and columns containing information such as RA, Dec, and Julian Date.

3. What is the purpose of finding objects with RA, Dec & Julian Date?

Finding objects with RA, Dec & Julian Date allows scientists to track the movement of asteroids over time and make predictions about their future positions.

4. How is the data in the asteroid database collected and updated?

The data in the asteroid database is collected through observations made by telescopes and updated regularly as new observations are made. Some databases also incorporate data from spacecraft missions that have studied asteroids.

5. Can anyone access the asteroid database?

Some asteroid databases are open to the public, while others may require a subscription or membership to access. Many scientific institutions and organizations also maintain their own asteroid databases for research purposes.