Should People with Astigmatism Use Contacts or Glasses When Using Microscopes?

In summary, the individual has strong astigmatism and wears toric contacts. They are currently taking a college biology class and struggle with looking through microscopes, especially with their contacts. They are considering a major in microbiology or immunology, which may involve using microscopes. They mention lab safety concerns about wearing contacts in the lab and ask for opinions on how others with astigmatism handle vision correction while using microscopes. They also express difficulty in getting answers from their eye doctor.
Emilaya98
I have very strong astigmatism, for a 17-year-old. I wear toric contacts, which is supposed to help people with astigmatism. I take a college biology class and today we were looking into light microscopes. I have always struggled with looking in microscopes, but today felt so much worse. After looking into the microscopes, I had a headache and my vision felt disoriented.

Is it better to use microscopes with contacts or with glasses? Because I want to major in (I'm currently a high school senior) something along the lines of microbiology or immunology, and I'm hoping my work involves microscopes. I know lab safety calls for not wearing contacts in the lab, but it's so much easier to see everything with my contacts in.

Biology news on Phys.org
Some microscopes allow the use of prescription lenses over the ocular (eyepiece). Talk to your optometrist about them. They are meant for astigmatic patients. Also available are special wide field lenses for glasses.

Advertisement - simply to give you an idea:

http://www.designsforvision.com/LVhtml/LVmicr.htm

I usually look through microscope eyepieces with my glasses on and it works fine for me (though I don't do extended work looking through the eyepiece). Most modern microscopy (the type you'd do in advanced undergrad labs or in grad school) would involve a camera anyway, so you'd be looking at the image of your sample on a computer screen, rather than looking through the eyepiece.

Likes Ryan_m_b
Emilaya98 said:
I have very strong astigmatism, for a 17-year-old. I wear toric contacts, which is supposed to help people with astigmatism. I take a college biology class and today we were looking into light microscopes. I have always struggled with looking in microscopes, but today felt so much worse. After looking into the microscopes, I had a headache and my vision felt disoriented.

Is it better to use microscopes with contacts or with glasses? Because I want to major in (I'm currently a high school senior) something along the lines of microbiology or immunology, and I'm hoping my work involves microscopes. I know lab safety calls for not wearing contacts in the lab, but it's so much easier to see everything with my contacts in.

Welcome to the PF.

First, please ask your eye doctor about these questions. Your vision is nothing to trust to Internet advice, right?

Next, why do you say that you should not wear contacts in your lab work? You do wear eye protection in your lab work, right?

We cannot provide medical diagnoses here, but we can remind you about safe lab practices...:smile:

Likes jim mcnamara
Those glasses seem really interesting, but I'm not sure I understand the concept. Is there only one lens?

By microscopes with cameras, do you mean electron microscopes? Or still light microscopes? And don't your glasses prevent you from getting close enough to the microscope lens?

I know not to trust medical advice from strangers :P I just want an opinion on how people with astigmatism choose to deal with their vision correction when working with microscopes. My eye doctor isn't much help when I usually have questions. As for contacts in the lab, apparently gases can seep under the contact and get trapped there (but I usually take mine out every night). Anytime we work with chemicals, I always make sure to wear goggles, but I guess if gases really can get trapped under contacts they'd be able to get trapped under goggles too (still doesn't make sense to me).

Emilaya98 said:
My eye doctor isn't much help when I usually have questions

That is wrong -- you need to talk with your doctor, and follow their advice. Thread closed.

Last edited:

1. What is astigmatism?

Astigmatism is a common vision condition that causes blurred or distorted vision. It occurs when the cornea (the clear front surface of the eye) is irregularly shaped, causing light to focus on multiple points instead of one point. This results in blurred vision at all distances.

2. How does astigmatism affect microscope use?

Astigmatism can affect microscope use by causing the image viewed through the eyepiece to appear blurred or distorted. This can make it difficult to accurately view and analyze microscopic images, which is crucial in scientific research and experimentation.

3. Can astigmatism be corrected for microscope use?

Yes, astigmatism can be corrected for microscope use. This can be done through the use of corrective lenses, such as glasses or contact lenses, that are specifically designed to correct for the irregular shape of the cornea. These corrective lenses can greatly improve the clarity of the image viewed through the microscope.

4. Are there any other factors that can affect microscope use for individuals with astigmatism?

Yes, in addition to corrective lenses, the angle and position of the microscope's eyepiece can also impact the clarity of the image for individuals with astigmatism. Adjusting the angle and position of the eyepiece can help to reduce the effects of astigmatism and improve the overall viewing experience.

5. Can astigmatism impact the accuracy of scientific research conducted with microscopes?

Yes, astigmatism can potentially impact the accuracy of scientific research conducted with microscopes. This is because the distorted or blurred images caused by astigmatism can make it difficult to accurately observe and analyze microscopic structures, potentially leading to incorrect conclusions or data. It is important for scientists with astigmatism to correct for this condition to ensure the accuracy of their research results.