Astonishing little AC/DC-adaptor

• Thread starter kuengb
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a small voltage adaptor that came with a portable phone. The person is curious about how it works and mentions that normal transformers get warm when plugged in, but this one does not. They ask if anyone can explain the technique used for this voltage adaptor. The article mentioned in the conversation talks about the use of an LTC1541 IC chip and provides its specifications.
kuengb
I have a question that maybe an engineer could answer. The voltage adaptor that came with my portable phone (Ericsson) in order to recharge its batteries made me wonder a lot. It is very small, about the size of a matchbox, and yet not much heavier. It's hard to believe that there's a coil with an iron core hidden inside, as in a standard voltage transformator. I also noticed that normal trafo's get warm simply if they're plugged in (and not in use) as a result of the ohm resistance (or whatever the word is) of the coil - this one doesn't.

Can anyone explain to me what technique is used here?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Based on this article:

http://www.elecdesign.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=6185 [Broken]

They use a LTC1541 IC chip. Here are the specs:

http://www.linear.com/pdf/15412fas.pdf [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

It is impressive to see how small and lightweight the AC/DC adaptor for your portable phone is. As an engineer, I can provide some insight into the technology used in this type of adaptor.

Firstly, it is important to note that the adaptor you are referring to is a switched-mode power supply (SMPS) rather than a traditional transformer-based power supply. SMPS uses a high-frequency switching circuit to convert the AC input voltage to a DC output voltage. This allows for a smaller and more efficient design compared to traditional transformers.

In terms of the lack of heat generation, this is due to the high-frequency switching used in SMPS. The switching frequency is much higher than the traditional 50/60Hz of AC power, resulting in less energy being dissipated as heat in the coil. This is also why the adaptor is not as heavy as a traditional transformer-based adaptor.

I hope this helps answer your question. SMPS technology has revolutionized the design of power supplies, making them smaller, lighter, and more efficient. Thank you for sharing your observations and curiosity.

1. What is an Astonishing little AC/DC-adaptor?

An Astonishing little AC/DC-adaptor is a small electronic device used to convert alternating current (AC) to direct current (DC) for powering various electronic devices. It is usually compact in size and can be used with a variety of devices such as laptops, smartphones, and other small electronics.

2. How does an Astonishing little AC/DC-adaptor work?

An Astonishing little AC/DC-adaptor works by taking the AC current from a power outlet and converting it to DC current, which is then used to power electronic devices. It uses a transformer and rectifier circuit to convert the current, and may also have additional components such as capacitors and diodes to regulate the output voltage.

3. What are the benefits of using an Astonishing little AC/DC-adaptor?

One of the main benefits of using an Astonishing little AC/DC-adaptor is its small size and portability. It allows for easy charging of electronic devices on-the-go. Additionally, it helps protect electronic devices from power surges and fluctuations, as the adaptor regulates the voltage before it reaches the device.

4. Are there different types of Astonishing little AC/DC-adaptors?

Yes, there are different types of Astonishing little AC/DC-adaptors available. Some may have a fixed output voltage, while others may have adjustable outputs. There are also adaptors designed for specific devices, such as laptops or smartphones, and others that can be used with a variety of devices.

5. Is it safe to use an Astonishing little AC/DC-adaptor?

Yes, an Astonishing little AC/DC-adaptor is generally safe to use. However, it is important to ensure that the adaptor is compatible with your electronic device and that you are using it correctly. It is also recommended to purchase adaptors from reputable brands to ensure quality and safety.