Exploring Exoplanets: Refining My Interests and Goals

In summary, the individual is interested in studying exasolar planets, specifically terrestrial ones that may harbor Earth-like life. They are seeking feedback on their goals and are wondering if their current background in physics will hurt their chances of getting into a program for this type of work. They also inquire about internship opportunities and the role of biology in the field of astrobiology. The expert suggests that their background in physics should not hinder them and recommends looking into research experience programs in astronomy. They also suggest researching schools involved in projects such as the Terrestrial Planet Finder and Kepler for potential opportunities. As for biology, the expert believes it is important for anyone interested in astrobiology and provides resources for further information.
lubuntu
Hi,

I have posted here a few times but lately I think I have been refining my interests somewhat so I want to compare my goals up against the reality.

I think I would like to work in a field of study exasolar planets in particular terrestrial ones that may harbor Earth like life. Now some you engineer types might find this sort of pursuit naive, but I would like some feedback on a few things.

I figure this would be a pretty good time scale to study such things since when roughly when I am getting out of grad school or toward the end the Terrestrial Planet Finder or a similar mission will probably be close to being launched.

1. The current school I am in has only a pure physics program with no real astronomy or astrophysics courses. I know I wanted a degree in physics and not astronomy but Does this hurt my chances of getting into a program to do this sort of work? Furthermore, which schools are on the forefront of such research anyways?

2. Getting an internship in this sort of field, be it something like SETI or something else, what is out there for undergrad research opportunities in this field.

3. I hear the term astrobiology used a lot, and while I find biology interesting I don't really want to have to take a bunch of courses in it and I don't really see how general biology applies very well to this sort of field, the type of stuff a premed or something takes. What sort of biology background if any is needed for someone who would like to work in this field.

Physics news on Phys.org
lubuntu said:
Hi,

I have posted here a few times but lately I think I have been refining my interests somewhat so I want to compare my goals up against the reality.

I think I would like to work in a field of study exasolar planets in particular terrestrial ones that may harbor Earth like life. Now some you engineer types might find this sort of pursuit naive, but I would like some feedback on a few things.

I figure this would be a pretty good time scale to study such things since when roughly when I am getting out of grad school or toward the end the Terrestrial Planet Finder or a similar mission will probably be close to being launched.

1. The current school I am in has only a pure physics program with no real astronomy or astrophysics courses. I know I wanted a degree in physics and not astronomy but Does this hurt my chances of getting into a program to do this sort of work? Furthermore, which schools are on the forefront of such research anyways?

2. Getting an internship in this sort of field, be it something like SETI or something else, what is out there for undergrad research opportunities in this field.

3. I hear the term astrobiology used a lot, and while I find biology interesting I don't really want to have to take a bunch of courses in it and I don't really see how general biology applies very well to this sort of field, the type of stuff a premed or something takes. What sort of biology background if any is needed for someone who would like to work in this field.

1. Not really. As long as your background in physics is sufficient the sub-field you study for grad work is your choice and you can pick up the extra stuff you need as you go. The only caveate is that in a competative situation, the more specific experience you have, the better. To learn who's at the forefront, you have to do you own reading. By the time you get to your fourth year you should be able to identify different groups that are involved in research you find interesting and then you can decide for yourself. (That's always better than getting info from an anonymous internet source anyway).

3. Astrobiology, in my opinion, is an emerging field that attempts to define the extremities under which life can exist and identify areas where there exists a high probablility of finding extra-terrestrial life, and in what form it might be. I would think that general biology would be imperative for anyone considering this field.

1. No, this won't hurt you. My dept is physics and astronomy, so everyone gets a physics degree, but many of us work in astronomy - and many incoming students have only studied physics. What you can do to really help yourself is spend your summers doing research in astronomy. The AAS maintains a list of REU (research experience for undergraduates) programs you can apply for - even after your first year in college. Deadlines are in early Feb.

As for which schools to go to, find out who is involved in the Terrestrial Planet Finder and Kepler (which schools, who are the PI/CIs) and look into their programs. You're more likely to get access to the data that way.

2. http://aas.org/education/REU.php
http://www.nsf.gov/crssprgm/reu/list_result.cfm?unitid=5045

3. http://astrobiology.nasa.gov/ask-an-astrobiologist/faq

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are exoplanets?

Exoplanets are planets that orbit a star outside of our solar system. They can vary in size, composition, and distance from their star.

2. How do scientists discover exoplanets?

Scientists use a variety of methods to discover exoplanets, including the transit method, radial velocity method, and direct imaging. These methods involve observing changes in a star's light or movement caused by the presence of an orbiting planet.

3. Why is exploring exoplanets important?

Exploring exoplanets can help us better understand our own solar system, as well as the formation and evolution of planets. It can also provide insight into the potential for life on other planets and expand our understanding of the universe.

4. What are the challenges of studying exoplanets?

Studying exoplanets can be challenging due to their distance from Earth and the limitations of current technology. Additionally, exoplanets can have complex and unpredictable orbits, making it difficult to gather accurate data.

5. What are some current and future missions focused on exoplanet exploration?

Some current missions focused on exoplanet exploration include the Kepler Space Telescope, the Transiting Exoplanet Survey Satellite (TESS), and the Hubble Space Telescope. In the future, missions such as the James Webb Space Telescope and the European Space Agency's PLATO mission are planned to further study exoplanets.