1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Astro Preperation

1. Mar 25, 2009 #1

nicksauce

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi all. I am starting graduate studies in astronomy&astrophysics in the fall, but due to the curriculum at my school, I don't have much of an astro background. What books can people recommend I go through during the summer to get myself prepared? Do you think going through Carroll&Ostlie would be enough, or should I supplement it with something more advanced?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 25, 2009 #2
    I'm about to complete an undergraduate Msci degree in Astrophysics, and Carroll & Ostlie was our recommended book for both first and second year (of five). I'd say that it was a good book as far as overviews and explanations go but I prefer a bit more of a hands-on with math look than it provides. If you know which courses you'll be covering more specifically (e.g. positional astronomy/cosmology/dynamics etc) then use Ostlie as a starting point and suppliment with other books.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook