[astrogeology] measuring atmospheric density

In summary, the equation g/cm^3 is used to measure density, which is the mass per unit volume. It is often used to determine atmospheric density on planets. The origin of this equation is unclear, as it is not mentioned in the article about Saturn's moon Enceladus.
vincentm
Can someone explain the equation [tex]g/cm^3[/tex] in layman's term? I was reading up on this article on Saturn's moon Enceladus, having heat, and the first thing i though was the gravitational tuggin from Saturn and it's other moons. And i came across this equation and seem like it's used to base density levels of atmospheres on planets. Also how did they come up with this equation?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
noone, eh?

[tex]\rm{g}\over\rm{cm}^3[/tex] is the units for density, which is the mass per unit volume.
vincentm said:
Also how did they come up with this equation?

Not sure what you are asking here. Are you asking how they derive the atmoshperic density of the planets, or how they came up with the equation for density? I can't see where they have used it in the article either.

1. How is atmospheric density measured?

Atmospheric density is typically measured using instruments such as barometers, anemometers, and altimeters. These instruments measure parameters such as air pressure, wind speed, and altitude to calculate the density of the atmosphere.

2. Why is it important to measure atmospheric density?

Measuring atmospheric density is important for understanding weather patterns, climate change, and the conditions for flight and space travel. It also provides valuable information for environmental research and air quality monitoring.

3. What factors affect atmospheric density?

Atmospheric density is affected by temperature, air pressure, and humidity. These factors can vary based on location, elevation, and weather conditions.

4. How does atmospheric density change with altitude?

As altitude increases, the atmospheric density decreases. This is because there is less air above, resulting in lower air pressure and temperature. This change in density can also affect the behavior of aircraft and spacecraft.

5. Are there any challenges in measuring atmospheric density?

Yes, there are several challenges in accurately measuring atmospheric density. These include variations in weather conditions, instrument calibration, and understanding the effects of different gases in the atmosphere. Additionally, the density of the atmosphere can also vary at different times and locations.