Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Astrological Compatibility

1. Yes astro compatibility is true

7.1%
  2. Yes it is true sometimes but not always

57.1%
  3. Never correct for me

35.7%
  1. Aug 22, 2005 #1

cronxeh

Gold Member

Do you believe in sign-based compatibility?
    http://horoscopes.syl.com/compatibilityhoroscopes

Try it and see if there is any statistical correlation between your lover, friends, enemies, and people you generally dont like or like and their signs

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2005 #2
  4. Aug 22, 2005 #3
    Bah. Metaphysics. :mad: These things are generalizations

5. Aug 22, 2005 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I don't think the poll question and the poll choices jive: whether it works has nothing to do with whether you believe in it. If you make it general enough, it'll always work, but that doesn't make it useful/valid (except to get your foot in the door, of course).

6. Aug 22, 2005 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Couldn't someone who doesn't believe in it still vote for option 2? Afterall, even if there's no truth to it, every so often, it's bound to get it right just by chance.

7. Aug 22, 2005 #6
    Whether or not astrology is true I think compatability has more to do with whether or not you are willing to work on a relationship. Whether or not you really want to be with the person is really what matters. If you aren't willing to work for it then most likely you really don't want it that bad.

8. Aug 22, 2005 #7

cronxeh

Gold Member

I bet you would make a great divorce counselor there, Statuatory. Perhaps, I dont know if this ever occured to you, but some people simply dont belong together?

9. Aug 22, 2005 #8
    Yes it has. And most often those people simply aren't in love with one another. Even if one is really in love that doesn't mean the other is. I'm sure you realize the number of people who believe they have fallen in love when they are really just fooling themselves.

10. Aug 22, 2005 #9

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Sun sign astrology is not what astrology is, however, I have found certain sun signs tend to "hook up" more frequently. Whether the relationship lasts or not is the true indicator in the "success" of sun sign compatibility. There is also a moon sign, a mercury sign, a venus sign, mars, etc...you get the picture. Many don't realize this. I voted option #2.

11. Aug 22, 2005 #10

cronxeh

Gold Member

It is a dangerous path through which you propose to take the two to get them to tango. The death of an ego and an appreciation for the different point of view is unheard of in the history of mankind. I dont think this is attainable without a serious psychological trauma or an unhealthy dose of tryptamines

12. Aug 22, 2005 #11

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

And I did...

13. Aug 23, 2005 #12
    Falling in love is a serious psychological trauma. :wink:

14. Aug 23, 2005 #13
    My ex-wife fit the profile of a Gemini to a T. There are 2 Leo females in my office and there is an ongoing Battle Royale. I am a cuspist Cancer and am generally confused. NO I'M NOT! YES I AM! ...chillaaaaaaax...

15. Aug 23, 2005 #14

cronxeh

Gold Member

I'd like to address the issue of some scientists and engineers being shunned from replying to this thread. First off, in science you are taught objective and critical thinking, and your conclusions and models are based on data and uncertanties, which are not always in correlation with common sense - whatever that may mean to some. After all, we wont have quantum mechanics if it was all understood at the end of 19th century.

Secondly this thread is not about astrology or planetary alignment or any of the metaphysics as some put it, but instead on interpersonal relationships between people. There are a few ideas about different types of people and personalities out there, but this thread is regarding one that is based on your date of birth.

So dont be shy to reply and post your honest opinions - if you think astrology works and you happen to have a doctoral in Astrophysics, there is nothing wrong with you - so long as you dont just throw away the data based on unrelated conclusions, or reach to conclusions based on inconclusive data.

16. Aug 23, 2005 #15

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Astrology has gained a horrible reputation because those who want to use it as an answer for everything eventually (especially relationship compatibility) degrade it to garbage. I can make one general prediction without the use of astrology: Those who have preconceptions of astrology being bogus have no idea how it really works. Thus, I can conclude that their preconceptions are founded on ignorance.

As for the relationship compatibility, many people fit their sun signs in a general sense. Some don't. I don't think we should use astrology to mandate which sun sign we will do best with in relationships-and many on this board know I have studied the subject for over a decade To use astrology this way is abusing it and making the repuation of it even worse. Yes, an astrologist needs to take the whole chart into consideration when analyzing a relationship. Sun signs are like your name really, it only tells a tiny bit about you.

17. Aug 23, 2005 #16

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Explain the differences:

18. Aug 23, 2005 #17

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Is this a computer generated comparison? If so, this is precisely why you can't base the compatibility of sun signs soley, and why you need further introspection into a chart.

On a basic sense, Virgo can be critical, yet easy going, down to earth. Cancer can be impulsively emotional, very loving and affectionate, but can have a mean streak.

19. Aug 23, 2005 #18

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They were from the sign-compatability link that cronxeh posted. You'd expect the answer to be the same, since the cases are the same.

Look at the comparisons:
    VC-"Both are capable of showing their worth and enjoying life in full."
    CV-"The problem is that they are both shy and should take all possible steps to cheer up each other."
    or:
    VC-"Compatibility horoscope Virgo foresees a passionate liaison and a long-lasting marriage."
    CV-"Compatibility horoscope Cancer promises a fine liaison and a fairly good marriage."

Not to pass judgement on people who really make a study out of it, but on the internet/magazine horoscopes. I can find myself in your analysis Kerrie, although I am always unsure whether I'm just fitting a pattern for the given. Like looking at the clouds and someone says: hey, 'that cloud looks like a teddybear' and you see a teddybear.

20. Aug 23, 2005 #19

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Yep, that's about what you can expect from sun sign astrology.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?