Sign-Based Compatibility: Is There Any Statistical Correlation?

• Thread starter cronxeh
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation covers the topic of sign-based compatibility and whether or not astrology can be used to determine the compatibility between individuals. Some participants believe in the validity of astrology, while others dismiss it as mere metaphysics. The conversation also touches on the idea that compatibility is more about willingness to work on a relationship rather than astrological signs. The use of sun signs in astrology is mentioned, as well as the potential for other factors such as moon signs and Venus signs. There is also discussion about whether or not scientists should be participating in this conversation and the reputation of astrology in general. In conclusion, the conversation highlights the differing opinions and perspectives on astrology as a tool for determining relationship compatibility.

Astro compatibility?

• Total voters
cronxeh
Gold Member
Do you believe in sign-based compatibility?
http://horoscopes.syl.com/compatibilityhoroscopes

Try it and see if there is any statistical correlation between your lover, friends, enemies, and people you generally don't like or like and their signs

Physics news on Phys.org
Bah. Metaphysics. :mad: These things are generalizations

I don't think the poll question and the poll choices jive: whether it works has nothing to do with whether you believe in it. If you make it general enough, it'll always work, but that doesn't make it useful/valid (except to get your foot in the door, of course).

Couldn't someone who doesn't believe in it still vote for option 2? Afterall, even if there's no truth to it, every so often, it's bound to get it right just by chance.

Whether or not astrology is true I think compatability has more to do with whether or not you are willing to work on a relationship. Whether or not you really want to be with the person is really what matters. If you aren't willing to work for it then most likely you really don't want it that bad.

I bet you would make a great divorce counselor there, Statuatory. Perhaps, I don't know if this ever occurred to you, but some people simply don't belong together?

cronxeh said:
I bet you would make a great divorce counselor there, Statuatory. Perhaps, I don't know if this ever occurred to you, but some people simply don't belong together?
Yes it has. And most often those people simply aren't in love with one another. Even if one is really in love that doesn't mean the other is. I'm sure you realize the number of people who believe they have fallen in love when they are really just fooling themselves.

Sun sign astrology is not what astrology is, however, I have found certain sun signs tend to "hook up" more frequently. Whether the relationship lasts or not is the true indicator in the "success" of sun sign compatibility. There is also a moon sign, a mercury sign, a venus sign, mars, etc...you get the picture. Many don't realize this. I voted option #2.

It is a dangerous path through which you propose to take the two to get them to tango. The death of an ego and an appreciation for the different point of view is unheard of in the history of mankind. I don't think this is attainable without a serious psychological trauma or an unhealthy dose of tryptamines

Moonbear said:
Couldn't someone who doesn't believe in it still vote for option 2? Afterall, even if there's no truth to it, every so often, it's bound to get it right just by chance.
And I did...

cronxeh said:
It is a dangerous path through which you propose to take the two to get them to tango. The death of an ego and an appreciation for the different point of view is unheard of in the history of mankind. I don't think this is attainable without a serious psychological trauma or an unhealthy dose of tryptamines
Falling in love is a serious psychological trauma. :wink:

My ex-wife fit the profile of a Gemini to a T. There are 2 Leo females in my office and there is an ongoing Battle Royale. I am a cuspist Cancer and am generally confused. NO I'M NOT! YES I AM! ...chillaaaaaaax...

I'd like to address the issue of some scientists and engineers being shunned from replying to this thread. First off, in science you are taught objective and critical thinking, and your conclusions and models are based on data and uncertanties, which are not always in correlation with common sense - whatever that may mean to some. After all, we won't have quantum mechanics if it was all understood at the end of 19th century.

Secondly this thread is not about astrology or planetary alignment or any of the metaphysics as some put it, but instead on interpersonal relationships between people. There are a few ideas about different types of people and personalities out there, but this thread is regarding one that is based on your date of birth.

So don't be shy to reply and post your honest opinions - if you think astrology works and you happen to have a doctoral in Astrophysics, there is nothing wrong with you - so long as you don't just throw away the data based on unrelated conclusions, or reach to conclusions based on inconclusive data.

cronxeh said:
I'd like to address the issue of some scientists and engineers being shunned from replying to this thread. First off, in science you are taught objective and critical thinking, and your conclusions and models are based on data and uncertanties, which are not always in correlation with common sense - whatever that may mean to some. After all, we won't have quantum mechanics if it was all understood at the end of 19th century.

Secondly this thread is not about astrology or planetary alignment or any of the metaphysics as some put it, but instead on interpersonal relationships between people. There are a few ideas about different types of people and personalities out there, but this thread is regarding one that is based on your date of birth.

So don't be shy to reply and post your honest opinions - if you think astrology works and you happen to have a doctoral in Astrophysics, there is nothing wrong with you - so long as you don't just throw away the data based on unrelated conclusions, or reach to conclusions based on inconclusive data.

Astrology has gained a horrible reputation because those who want to use it as an answer for everything eventually (especially relationship compatibility) degrade it to garbage. I can make one general prediction without the use of astrology: Those who have preconceptions of astrology being bogus have no idea how it really works. Thus, I can conclude that their preconceptions are founded on ignorance.

As for the relationship compatibility, many people fit their sun signs in a general sense. Some don't. I don't think we should use astrology to mandate which sun sign we will do best with in relationships-and many on this board know I have studied the subject for over a decade To use astrology this way is abusing it and making the repuation of it even worse. Yes, an astrologist needs to take the whole chart into consideration when analyzing a relationship. Sun signs are like your name really, it only tells a tiny bit about you.

Explain the differences:
VIRGO - CANCER : Virgo provides Cancer with emotional security he needs, makes compliments sustaining her feelings. A willing of Virgo to take care of her partner corresponds quite luckily to dependence of Cancer. Imagination of Cancer stimulates Virgo, and a desire of Cancer to give pleasure strengthens the affection of Virgo. Both are capable of showing their worth and enjoying life in full. Compatibility horoscope Virgo foresees a passionate liaison and a long-lasting marriage.
CANCER - VIRGO : Virgo is practical by nature and plays a core role in this union. Cancer is more emotional than a reserved Virgo, but they are capable of mutual affection. Besides, they are compatible sexually. The problem is that they are both shy and should take all possible steps to cheer up each other. Compatibility horoscope Cancer promises a fine liaison and a fairly good marriage.

Monique said:
Explain the differences:

Is this a computer generated comparison? If so, this is precisely why you can't base the compatibility of sun signs soley, and why you need further introspection into a chart.

On a basic sense, Virgo can be critical, yet easy going, down to earth. Cancer can be impulsively emotional, very loving and affectionate, but can have a mean streak.

They were from the sign-compatability link that cronxeh posted. You'd expect the answer to be the same, since the cases are the same.

Look at the comparisons:
VC-"Both are capable of showing their worth and enjoying life in full."
CV-"The problem is that they are both shy and should take all possible steps to cheer up each other."
or:
VC-"Compatibility horoscope Virgo foresees a passionate liaison and a long-lasting marriage."
CV-"Compatibility horoscope Cancer promises a fine liaison and a fairly good marriage."

Not to pass judgement on people who really make a study out of it, but on the internet/magazine horoscopes. I can find myself in your analysis Kerrie, although I am always unsure whether I'm just fitting a pattern for the given. Like looking at the clouds and someone says: hey, 'that cloud looks like a teddybear' and you see a teddybear.

Monique said:
I can find myself in your analysis Kerrie, although I am always unsure whether I'm just fitting a pattern for the given. Like looking at the clouds and someone says: hey, 'that cloud looks like a teddybear' and you see a teddybear.

Yep, that's about what you can expect from sun sign astrology.

1. What is astrological compatibility?

Astrological compatibility is the study of how two individuals' zodiac signs may impact their relationship. It is believed that the alignment of the stars and planets at the time of a person's birth can influence their personality and traits, which can then affect their compatibility with others.

2. How accurate is astrological compatibility?

The accuracy of astrological compatibility is subjective and varies among individuals. Some people may find it to be extremely accurate in predicting their compatibility with others, while others may not find it to be relevant at all. Scientific studies have not found any evidence to support the accuracy of astrological compatibility.

3. Can astrological compatibility determine the success of a relationship?

Astrological compatibility can be one factor that may influence the success of a relationship, but it is not the sole determining factor. Many other factors, such as communication, trust, and shared values, also play a significant role in the success of a relationship.

4. Can astrological compatibility be improved?

There is no scientific evidence to suggest that astrological compatibility can be improved. However, individuals can work on improving their communication, understanding, and compatibility with their partner through open and honest communication, compromise, and mutual respect.

5. Is astrological compatibility limited to romantic relationships?

Astrological compatibility is often associated with romantic relationships, but it can also be applied to friendships, family relationships, and even professional relationships. The compatibility between two individuals' zodiac signs can provide insight into their potential dynamics and interactions in any type of relationship.