Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Astrologist sues NASA over comet crash

1. Jul 5, 2005 #1

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://reuters.excite.com//article/...309275_RTRIDST_0_ODD-RUSSIA-HOROSCOPE-DC.html

:uhh: :rofl: I feel bad for whoever the people are at NASA who have to actually deal with the legal nonsense, but I sure do wish I was there to see the expression on the face of whoever the first person was to read it. :bugeye: Hopefully it will be quickly dismissed by the courts.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 5, 2005 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

4. Jul 5, 2005 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Kerrie would know for sure, but I don't believe comets are part of astrological charts, especially ones that aren't visible or tracked, unlike Haley's.

What a nut.

5. Jul 5, 2005 #4

JamesU

Gold Member

comets are parts of astrological charts. I think they 'symbolize' something.

what a crazy nut! Nobody complained about the moon landing... :mad:

6. Jul 5, 2005 #5

cronxeh

Gold Member

I was hoping nobody would mention this idiotic "story"

Thanks Moonbear, you ruined my last hopes. My probability is shattered - I mean wow, you are the last person I thought would post this. I woulda expected this from like yomomma or Astronuc.. ah what the hey, the world's gone up in flames.

Next time my windows crashes, I'm filing a class action suit against Microsoft for moral, emotional, educational, and spiritual/religious damages caused to me.

7. Jul 5, 2005 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just don't sue me for it. :biggrin: :rofl: That's why I posted it over here in GD. It just struck me as so idiotic that I had to share it with others I knew would appreciate the idiocy. If it's so important to your astrological chart, remake the chart. :tongue2:

8. Jul 5, 2005 #7

cronxeh

Gold Member

yes I do believe this Newtonian bump caused my libra/scorpio cusp compatibility to be nudged a little and I'm now attracted to Scorpios.. Say, Moonbie.. how you doin'?

raaawrr :tongue2:

9. Jul 5, 2005 #8

Evo

According to the "Astrology Encyclopedia" - "The astrological significance of comets has been the subject of much study, but so far no definite conclusions have been reached."

http://www.astrologyweekly.com/dictionary/comets.php

The only ones even mentioned are ones that have been seen. She doesn't even seem to have the field of astrology behind her.

10. Jul 5, 2005 #9

honestrosewater

Gold Member

:rofl: :rofl:

What kind of belief system doesn't take into account NASA spacecrafts crashing? I thought that was a given. :biggrin:

11. Jul 5, 2005 #10

russ_watters

Sounds fair to me: Value of a comet: $0. Say, the damage comes out to 50% of the value.... lets see, multiply by the uhhh.....carry the, hmmm.... can someone figure that one out for me?

12. Jul 5, 2005 #11
    Perhaps astrology is nonsense, perhaps not. But either way its a more sensible idea than the idea of dropping bombs on passing comets. I guess American taxpayers are a bit more easy going about how their money is spent than most.

13. Jul 5, 2005 #12

russ_watters

14. Jul 5, 2005 #13

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

She obviously should have sought the advice of a fortune teller prior to preparing her chart. Can't blame NASA if her fortune teller got it wrong. :rolleyes:

Hey, I loved that game as a kid! Um... :uhh: I mean the video game Asteroids. :biggrin:

15. Jul 5, 2005 #14
    I don't care if it screwed up her horoscope. It finally straightened mine out!

16. Jul 5, 2005 #15

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

This astrologist pisses me off. :mad: This gives those of us trying to study the subject with objectivity a bad reputation. Why is it the few bad apples ruin it for the rest of us? As far as I know, planetoids are sometimes considered in a chart, but that is all dependent upon the astrologist. Besides, how much of an impact would our satellite have upon this huge rock? And if there was an impact that made a significant difference to the orbit of the comet, I would think this would be an opportunity for astrolgists (the legitimate ones) to study the impact from the astrological point of view.

Astrology is not meant to tell your fortune.

17. Jul 5, 2005 #16

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Maybe she should be suing you. Stealing her karma or something?? Sounds like "solid legal ground" to me...

18. Jul 5, 2005 #17

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It seems that must be her interpretation of it, that if something disrupts a comet, her future is going to change. But, that's not what I meant by that comment anyway. I meant she needed a fortune teller to let her know the comet would collide with a satellite so she could prepare her chart accordingly, not that the chart was going to tell her future (if it could, her chart should have already predicted this anomaly). I'm just countering a nutty argument with another nutty argument. It's her own fault for not calling a fortune teller before embarking on the task of preparing her chart. :tongue2:

19. Jul 5, 2005 #18
    Let her try suing me! My horoscope now says: "You will be invincible in all legal battles."

20. Jul 5, 2005 #19

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This just up

21. Jul 6, 2005 #20

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Well isn't THAT convienent...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?