Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Astrology Anomaly

1. Mar 11, 2004 #1

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Just for fun...
    If a baby is born on Mars on July 12, 2014, what would his/her astrological Sun sign be?

2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2004 #2

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

the sun would be in the Cancer ecliptic. no, the sun would NOT be in the constellation Cancer.

4. May 31, 2004 #3

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

thanks for your response, Kerrie!
    would people on Mars have to develop an entirely new system of astrology, since the one used on earth is based on a geo-centric model?

5. Jun 1, 2004 #4

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

oh wait!! my apologies, i answered so fast and didn't even see the mars part! i will have to research that a bit, as i am not sure. but, as far as earth based astrology, yes earth is on a geo-centric model because of the positions of the planets in relation to our earth. the same would be true for mars astrology, and in order for astrology to be "established" on other planets, the behavioral cycles of people in relation to the aspects and planetary positions would have to be studied for quite some time. this is how astrology has been established for us here, and you will sometimes read the phrase that "astrology is the oldest science". this is due to how long humanity has studied the celestial bodies-whether they be planets or stars. as we have discovered more of these bodies, our version of astrology has been more detailed.

for me personally, when i look at a birth chart, i do not look at planets past saturn because the outer planets take so long to move, and there hasn't been enough time to understand the cycles in correlation with earth. what i do understand with the "inner" planets and jupiter/saturn is many people will live up to the typical tendencies unless some experience has changed their perspective/attitude in that particular "planetary influence".

6. Jun 8, 2004 #5

(Q)

So, how exactly do planets millions/billions of miles away affect us?

And why do no two astrologers ever agree on their premonitions?

I don't ever remember Astrology being associated with science - when did that happen?

7. Jun 8, 2004 #6

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There was a time when professional astronomers also worked as astrologers.

8. Jun 8, 2004 #7

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

q, your questions are off topic. try these links for some insight.Astrology The physics of astrology

i don't feel like repeating a thread which is already duplicated twice in this forum. and please-read them all the way through.

9. Jun 8, 2004 #8

(Q)

Thanks - I read them through, however there were no clear answers other than "there is no "cause" in the heavens followed by an "effect" here on Earth. Instead, both planetary and earthly events happen simultaneously and are mutually reflective. Neither is the other here on the Earth below."

Of course, that makes no sense at all and tends to raise more questions than answers.

10. Jun 8, 2004 #9

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

pose your questions in those threads then.

11. Aug 7, 2004 #10
    Another attempt by mankind to know the unknowable.
    "I don't know" seems too painful for most folks.

12. Aug 7, 2004 #11

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I never did thank you for your response, Kerrie. My bad!!
    I thought what you said was very interesting. I had just assumed that once you leave planet Earth, all bets are off. I didn't think about people starting the observations over from scratch.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?