Trying "Astronaut Food" - Have You?

• Thread starter Mk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Food
In summary, the frozen ice cream balls are sold at a lot of theme parks. Sea World, Hershey Park, Six Flags are three that I can recall besides the Nasa Space Exploratorium or whatever its called there in Clear Lake. The Tang you can get in a store. And if you want a food from a pouch you can drink a juice box of suck down a tube of anchovy paste. To infinity and beyond, all within the confines of your own home.
Mk
Maybe I'd like to have an astronaut meal some time, complete with tang, that "astronaut ice cream" they sell at NASA Space Stations (I've never had either), and something else astronauts eat. Have you tried any "astronaut food" before? How was it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mk said:
Maybe I'd like to have an astronaut meal some time, complete with tang, that "astronaut ice cream" they sell at NASA Space Stations (I've never had either), and something else astronauts eat. Have you tried any "astronaut food" before? How was it?

The frozen ice cream balls are sold at a lot of theme parks. Sea World, Hershey Park, Six Flags are three that I can recall besides the Nasa Space Exploratorium or whatever its called there in Clear Lake.

Tang you can get in a store. And if you want a food from a pouch you can drink a juice box of suck down a tube of anchovy paste.

If you put vodka in your juice box, you might even get drunk enough to feel weightless. To infinity and beyond, all within the confines of your own home.

When I was in elementary shool, I lived near NASA and the astronauts would come to my school to talk to us. I tried some of the first astronaut food, which I understand is nothing like what they have today. The food today is more like the food they have for campers.

The frozen ice cream balls are sold at a lot of theme parks. Sea World, Hershey Park, Six Flags are three that I can recall besides the Nasa Space Exploratorium or whatever its called there in Clear Lake.
You mean Dippin Dots? I thought that stuff at NASA was a powder or something.

It's like some powdery type of food but it's somewhat solid. I've tried some of the NASA ice cream and it does taste like the flavor but no-where near actual ice cream obviously.

Mk said:
You mean Dippin Dots?

Yep. Didn't remember the name.

Evo,

Houston, the Cape, or Huntsville?

1. What is "astronaut food" and how is it different from regular food?

"Astronaut food" refers to the specially designed food that is consumed by astronauts during space missions. It is different from regular food in that it is specifically made to be shelf-stable, lightweight, and easy to consume in a zero-gravity environment.

2. How is "astronaut food" made?

"Astronaut food" is made using a process called freeze-drying. The food is first cooked and then frozen. It is then placed in a vacuum chamber where the frozen water is removed through sublimation, leaving behind a lightweight, dehydrated food that can be rehydrated with water when consumed.

3. Is "astronaut food" safe to eat?

Yes, "astronaut food" is safe to eat. It goes through rigorous testing and quality control to ensure that it meets all safety standards. It is also designed to provide all the necessary nutrients and calories for astronauts to stay healthy during their missions.

4. How does "astronaut food" taste?

The taste of "astronaut food" can vary depending on the type of food and the brand. Some people may find it bland or unappetizing, while others may enjoy the unique taste. The texture can also be different from regular food, as it is often softer or mushier due to the freeze-drying process.

5. Can anyone try "astronaut food"?

Yes, anyone can try "astronaut food" as it is commercially available. Many science museums and gift shops sell various types of "astronaut food" for people to try. However, it is important to note that it is meant to be a novelty item and should not be relied on as a main source of nutrition.