1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Astronaut, Mars

1. Mar 23, 2007 #1
    What program/field of study would be good to become an astronaut, with the hope of one day going to mars?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2007 #2
    I've read bios of astronauts, and I've noted that many of them majored in physics. So I suppose that this is one way to become an astronaut. Of course, many others took the military route, and became astronauts after flying naval and air force aircraft. I know that fighter pilots are required to have a minimum of a bachelor's degree, but I don't think the military requires a specific field of study.

Anyway, I'm definitely not the person to talk to for advice on this, but this is what I've heard.
  4. Mar 24, 2007 #3
    Thanks for the reply. Right now I'm trying to decide what to do with my degree, and where to go after I"m done undergrad. I'm basically just taking every little idea I get and running with it to see where it goes. This came up in conversation with a buddy of mine, and I figured, why not learn more, could be fun.

Anyone else have any ideas on this?
  5. Mar 24, 2007 #4
    The basic requirements are simple ( http://www.nasajobs.nasa.gov/astronauts/content/broch00.htm#bqr ). What actually sets some people apart from others, I don't really know. If/when they decide to go to Mars, or even back to the Moon, I would think that a degree in something like Planetary Science might be useful to get selected. Of course, physics, and other similar degrees too.

With the "3 years of increasing responsibility" requirement, you should probably try to make it as close as possible to the space program. Or, they seem to like sending teachers up, maybe you could do that too ;)

These are all just guesses on my part. I plan on applying too. Perhaps we'll both be stepping onto Mars one day :)
  6. Mar 24, 2007 #5
    I feel like quoting the Simpsons.

Other reporter: They're a colorful bunch. They've been dubbed, “The Three Musketeers". Heh heh heh.

Reporter: And we laugh legitimately. There's a mathematician, a different kind of mathematician, and a statistician.
  7. Mar 24, 2007 #6
    Sounds like a plan Mororvia, I'll see you there.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?