Relative Velocity of Astronauts After a Throw and Catch

In summary, the first astronaut throws the ball at a speed of -.7027 meters per second and the second astronaut catches the ball at a speed of .497 meters per second.
greyradio
[SOLVED] Momentum problem

Two astronauts float in space, at rest relative to each other. The first astronaut, mass 63.4 kg, holds a ball of mass 7.28 kg, which she throws at speed 6.17 m/s. The second astronaut, mass 83.1 kg, then catches the ball. Find the speed one astronaut is moving relative to the other after one throw and one catch.

P = mv
M1V1 + M2V2 = M1Vf + M2Vf

I found the momentum of the first astronaut throwing the ball which is:

7.28(6.12) = 63.4 vf

7.28(6.12)/63.4 = vf
-.7027 m/s = vf

Also the momentum of the second astronaut catching the ball:

83.1(0) + 7.28(6.17)/ 83.1 + 7.28 = vf
.497 m/s = vf

but I am rather confused about what its asking for. It asking for the speed one astronaut is moving relative to the other. Does it matter which astronaut's speed I use or do I need to use a relative velocity equation?

If I need to use a relative velocity equation would it be something like:

V astro b relative to a = V astro a relative to b + V of astro A and B

Physics news on Phys.org
You probably don't want to write 6.12 when the problem statement says 6.17. I get v=-0.7085m/s for the first astronaut. For the second astronaut your numbers don't add up at all. But to answer your question the relative velocity of the two is the difference between the two velocities if you keep the sign straight.

Well, for your question, you can use [tex](m_1+m_2)v_i = m_1v_1_f+m_2v_2_f[/tex], where I don't quite get the same answer as you for the first astronomer's velocity.

And then if you calculate the second astronomer's velocity, you get an answer which is consistent with what you got.

Then the relative velocity of astronaut B to astronaut A
[tex]=v_B-v_A[/tex], where [tex]v_A[/tex] is a negative number, therefore
[tex]v_B_t_o_A=v_B+|v_A|[/tex]

thanks it worked out.

1. What is the Astronaut Momentum problem?

The Astronaut Momentum problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the momentum of an astronaut in space. It takes into account the mass of the astronaut, their velocity, and the direction in which they are moving.

2. Why is the Astronaut Momentum problem important?

The Astronaut Momentum problem is important because it helps us understand the motion of objects in space. It also has practical applications, such as determining the amount of fuel needed for a spacecraft to reach a desired destination.

3. How is the Astronaut Momentum problem solved?

The Astronaut Momentum problem is solved using the equation p = mv, where p is the momentum, m is the mass, and v is the velocity. The direction of the momentum is determined by the direction of the velocity.

4. What factors affect the momentum of an astronaut?

The momentum of an astronaut is affected by their mass and velocity. A higher mass or a higher velocity will result in a greater momentum. The direction of their velocity also affects the direction of their momentum.

5. Can the momentum of an astronaut change?

Yes, the momentum of an astronaut can change. This can happen if the astronaut changes their velocity, either by speeding up, slowing down, or changing direction. The mass of the astronaut can also change if they interact with other objects in space, such as grabbing onto a spacecraft or releasing an object they were carrying.