1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Astronauts and Spring question

1. Dec 5, 2006 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Astronauts in space cannot weigh themselves by standing on a bathroom scale. Instead, they determine their mass by oscillating on a large spring. Suppose an astronaut attaches one end of a large spring to her belt and the other end to a hook on the wall of the space capsule. A fellow astronaut then pulls her away from the wall and releases her. The spring's length as a function of time is shown in the figure .

What is her mass if the spring constant is 240 ?

What is her speed when the spring's length is 1.2 ?

2. Relevant equations

image is http://session.masteringphysics.com/problemAsset/1001073/9/knight_Figure_14_36.jpg

3. The attempt at a solution
    i got that the answer to the first question is 54.7kg

i just dont know how to find her velocity at that length
    if someone can please help me

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2006 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Treating the astronaut on the spring as a simple harmonic oscillator, and using the plot, can you write down the equation that represents the position (x) of the astroanut as a function of time (t) ?

4. Dec 5, 2006 #3
    I would look at the natural frequency of the vibrations. This gives you the 'signature' of the system.

5. Dec 5, 2006 #4
    goku do u mean x(t)=Acos(wt+phase constant)?

6. Dec 8, 2006 #5

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, what are the values of A and w (look at the plot)? From x(t), can you find dx/dt?

If you haven't had calculus as yet, think about energy conservation. You can find the total energy (E) using the spring constant (k) and the maximum stretch (amplitude, A). Then at x=1.2m you can plug in the value of the PE and use the value of E to find the KE at this point.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?