What can a 5th grader do to become an astronomer and inventor?

• Thread starter Lazernugget
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Astronomer
In summary: Keep an open mind and always be willing to learn and try new things. Don't be discouraged by failure, as it is a natural part of the learning process. And most importantly, have fun! Science and invention should always be enjoyable and exciting.
Lazernugget
Hello, I'm a 5th grader from California, and I already know what I want to be, and I am not changing it. It's: To be an astronomer and Inventor. I am only a 5th grader, so I'm really thinking ahead, but I have the highest math scores in my class, (And science scores) And I even do math that my TEACHER finds crazy. I just LOVE Astronomy, sooooo much. AS for Inventing, I just...well, also love it. I am able to make circuitry, (Only simple stuff) and draw rocket designs and invention blueprints everyday after I finish whatever test I just finished... So, I find those two things as my goals.

I may also want to teach, (MAYBE, not for sure) And would like to help in other projects too. Like at the LHC or something. I might do some quantum research and stuff too...

So...any tips, pointers? That would be great! Thanks. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org

Lazernugget said:
Hello, I'm a 5th grader from California, and I already know what I want to be, and I am not changing it. It's: To be an astronomer and Inventor. I am only a 5th grader, so I'm really thinking ahead, but I have the highest math scores in my class, (And science scores) And I even do math that my TEACHER finds crazy. I just LOVE Astronomy, sooooo much. AS for Inventing, I just...well, also love it. I am able to make circuitry, (Only simple stuff) and draw rocket designs and invention blueprints everyday after I finish whatever test I just finished... So, I find those two things as my goals.

I may also want to teach, (MAYBE, not for sure) And would like to help in other projects too. Like at the LHC or something. I might do some quantum research and stuff too...

Welcome to the PF. Does your school have a Science Fair? If so, that's a great place to combine the science and creativity that you enjoy.

You can also build a few electronics kits, like the ones you can get at Radio Shack and similar stores. That will get you more experience building things, and usually the kits come with some tutorial material and explanations about how the kit electronics works.

Keep it up, and have fun. :smile:

Cool! Thanks, Um...my school has no science fair, and I AM making Electronic kits...

:D

Look into doing some programming. I was your age when I started to learn how to program and it's really quite fun. I know a few other people who have done it too, so if you're interested I think you ought to give it a shot. You don't need any materials, you don't need anything special, just a computer, willingness to learn, internet/google, and you're good to go. You seem like a bright kid, and programming is something that can really be intellectually stimulating, especially if you're so young.

Remember, the important thing is to have fun.

Lazernugget said:
Cool! Thanks, Um...my school has no science fair, and I AM making Electronic kits...

You might look into the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair:

http://www.intel.com/education/isef/

I'm not sure what the age/grade limit is to start entering the competitions, and I don't know how you enter if your school doesn't have a science fair of its own, but it may be possible. I've seen some of the projects at an Intel Fair last year, and many are very impressive.

Thanks dude! Awesome!

Lazernugget said:
Hello, I'm a 5th grader from California, and I already know what I want to be, and I am not changing it. It's: To be an astronomer and Inventor.
One of the hallmarks of a scientist is having an open mind. So do try to keep your mind open to other paths. There's a lot more to science, technology, engineering, and math than just astronomy and inventing.

Getting involved in science fairs, learning to program: These are some very good suggestions. It's going to take some work, but it is a worth the effort.

Keep learning more and more math. No better time than when you're young. Don't give up when you fail, I know you will, everyone does. Keep pushing on.

Lazernugget said:

Welcome to the forums.

What kind of things would you like to invent? Have you been exposed to some field or problem that really captivates you?

Ah yes! I design efficient rocket designs, and satellites, and such types of things. Sometimes I stray and go to things like quantum mechanical inventions too...

And I always keep ideas open.

((BTW, I also enjoy particle physics, physics, and quantum physics too (oh, and other stuff too)))Edit: Oh, and of course, Astrophysics!

Last edited:

Lazernugget said:

One thing that will help is to buy yourself a telescope and subscribe to astronomy magazine. Visit museums a lot.

Also there are some hobbies that will help you a lot. Learn to program a computer. Build robots from Legos. Photography will help you learn a lot about lens. Do lots of math puzzles.

Have fun.

Ah yes, I use legos, and I just got a telescope too! Plus a magazine subscription, so I already have that stuff...

hmmm, along with cool science one's got to learn a lot of math to be a good astrophysicist...

How about getting started on some algebra?? Ask your math teacher nicely if she could procure an algebra book for you to look at, I guarantee she'll be impressed and help you if you have any questions.

Thanks, but I already do that...I'm also learning physics sooo...yeah.

I also have a subscription to popular science, and go the NASA.com a lot...

Get a small telescope, read a biography of Galileo, try and repeat some of the things he did. Look at the moon, map the craters. Look at Jupiter, try and work out the orbits of its moons. Search for comets. Map the Pleiades. Endless other things to do! OK you don't see things 'up large', like with the Hubble telescope pictures on the web, but just getting out there and doing smaller things yourself is a great experience, not to be missed - a real contact with the real thing. I remember my early-teen evenings with a three inch refractor with a great deal of nostalgia. Go beyond the books and web! Go beyond what I did (I'm not very hands-on...) - use your inventive prowess to build your own bigger telescope, build in some photography...

1. What does an astronomer and inventor do?

An astronomer and inventor is a scientist who studies celestial objects and phenomena, and also designs and creates new technologies or devices.

2. What education is required to become an astronomer and inventor?

To become an astronomer and inventor, one typically needs a bachelor's degree in astronomy, physics, or a related field. Many also pursue a master's or doctoral degree for advanced research and development.

3. What skills are important for an astronomer and inventor?

Key skills for an astronomer and inventor include critical thinking, problem-solving, mathematical and scientific knowledge, and proficiency in technology and computer software. Creativity and communication skills are also important for inventing new devices or presenting research findings.

4. What are the job prospects and salary for an astronomer and inventor?

The job prospects for astronomers and inventors are expected to grow at a rate of 7% from 2019 to 2029, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. As of May 2020, the median annual salary for astronomers was $122,220, and for inventors, it was $98,230.

5. How does an astronomer and inventor contribute to society?

An astronomer and inventor's work helps us better understand the universe and develop new technologies that improve our daily lives. Their research also contributes to advancements in fields such as medicine, energy, and communications.