Solving Astronomical Errors: A Reference for Shadow

• Thread starter The_shadow
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of errors in a product of two quantities and the use of the standard error equation. However, this equation may not be applicable when the errors are large, as is often the case in astronomy. The conversation also seeks a reference to a paper discussing this issue, and the suggestion is made to look at "Propagation of Errors in Multiplication and Division" by David J. Wilcox. This paper discusses how to handle errors in multiplication and division when they are not small compared to the absolute value, with examples provided.
The_shadow
Hi,

So basically I want to work out the errors of the product of two quantity's with there own error. One would usually use the standard error equation derived from the Taylor expansion. However this assumes that the errors are small compared to the absolute value and in my case (as well as most astronomy) the errors are usually large therefore violating this assumption - this is not my idea but I would like to discuss it in my thesis and therefore require a reference to some paper discussing this. Does anyone know of such a paper?

Many Thanks gents, Shadow

Astronomy news on Phys.org
. You might want to look at this paper: "Propagation of Errors in Multiplication and Division" by David J. Wilcox. In the paper, Wilcox discusses the propagation of errors in multiplication and division operations and how to apply the standard error equation when the errors are not small compared to the absolute value. He also provides some examples to illustrate the use of the equation.

1. What are astronomical errors and why are they important to solve?

Astronomical errors refer to discrepancies or mistakes in the measurements or calculations of astronomical data. They are important to solve because they can affect the accuracy and reliability of astronomical observations and predictions.

2. How can I identify and measure astronomical errors?

There are several methods for identifying and measuring astronomical errors, including comparing data from different observations, using statistical analysis, and conducting controlled experiments. Additionally, specialized instruments and software programs can also help in identifying and quantifying errors.

3. What are some common sources of astronomical errors?

Some common sources of astronomical errors include human error, equipment malfunction, atmospheric conditions, and inaccuracies in mathematical models or data. Other factors such as timing, calibration, and observational bias can also contribute to errors.

4. How can I minimize or correct for astronomical errors?

Minimizing and correcting for astronomical errors involves careful data collection and analysis, as well as using advanced techniques such as error propagation and error correction algorithms. It is also important to regularly calibrate equipment and account for external factors that may impact measurements.

5. Can I completely eliminate all astronomical errors?

While it is possible to reduce and correct for many astronomical errors, it is nearly impossible to completely eliminate all sources of error. This is because there will always be some level of uncertainty in measurements and observations, and new sources of error may arise as technology and techniques evolve. However, by understanding and minimizing errors, we can improve the overall accuracy and reliability of astronomical data.