Astronomy Riddle: Stand on the Sphere

• Thread starter kathkath
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Riddle
In summary: Apparently it's related to the sun and Earth, but he's not sure how. He also mentions the asteroid belt and the fact that it has 4 planets between it and the sun, and 5 planets between it and pluto. He ends the riddle by saying that he's tired and needs to go.
kathkath
Four away from the brightest, five away from the dimmest,
Turning and Turning around one sphere,
Four away from the end, a lot of ways from the beginning,
If you were to stand, you are to place on here

I think this is related to astronomy :rolleyes: , but I'm not too sure. I hope someone could help. :smile:

Astronomy news on Phys.org
:uhh: You didn't see nothin...

Last edited:
How is Saturn five places away from Pluto?

Doh! Nevermind! Lol. Don't know what I was thinking...

hmm.. would it be Jupiter then?? :frown: I really wonder is this even astronomical :uhh:

Mars is four away from the brightest (sun)
and five away from the dimmest (pluto unless sedna is counted)
the rest makes no sense to me

What about the asteroid belt?

I was considering a circular alphabet and the letter x, because if "you were to stand, you are to place one here" makes me think of "x marks the spot". But the rest didn't work out. Anyone else have non-astro-related ideas?

Did anyone ever figure this out? It's been bugging me all week!

kathkath said:
Four away from the brightest, five away from the dimmest,
Turning and Turning around one sphere,
Four away from the end, a lot of ways from the beginning,
If you were to stand, you are to place on here

I think this is related to astronomy :rolleyes: , but I'm not too sure. I hope someone could help. :smile:
you could also say it involves the sun and earth.
four away from the brightest- the sun is 4 billion years years (approximately) when it just was born it was at its brightest state.
five away from the dimmest- in 5 billion years the sun will die and therefore will be at it dimmest state.
turning turning around one sphere- the Earth around the sun.
four away from the end- i assume the Earth is going to die in 4 billion years time (i don't how much this is accurate).
a lot of ways from the beginnig- the start of Earth can be accounted for a lot of circumsatnces, the fact is we still don't know how it was form and there hell lot of theories about Earth's birth.
if you were to stand, you are to place on here- well, i think the one who wrote riddle had in mind that everyone who reads his riddle will be on Earth (hasnt he heard of internet for astronauts in space :approve: :biggrin: ).

the asteroid belt has 4 planets between itself and the sun, and 5 planets between itself and pluto. that's about where the relationship between the riddle and the asteroid belt stops for me... I am tired and must get off comp.
i will think about it...

loop quantum gravity said:
you could also say it involves the sun and earth.
four away from the brightest- the sun is 4 billion years years (approximately) when it just was born it was at its brightest state.
five away from the dimmest- in 5 billion years the sun will die and therefore will be at it dimmest state.
turning turning around one sphere- the Earth around the sun.
four away from the end- i assume the Earth is going to die in 4 billion years time (i don't how much this is accurate).
a lot of ways from the beginnig- the start of Earth can be accounted for a lot of circumsatnces, the fact is we still don't know how it was form and there hell lot of theories about Earth's birth.
if you were to stand, you are to place on here- well, i think the one who wrote riddle had in mind that everyone who reads his riddle will be on Earth (hasnt he heard of internet for astronauts in space :approve: :biggrin: ).

i must say that this one fits the best so far! well done

kathkath said:

What's the context? (where is this from?)

Is it transcribed correctly? (the last line is odd)

'the Earth is going to die'

ahem...

1. How is it possible to stand on a sphere in space?

The concept of standing on a sphere in space is based on the principle of gravity. In space, objects with mass exert a gravitational force on each other. This force pulls objects towards each other and creates a spherical shape. Therefore, it is possible for an object, such as a spacecraft, to be in a state of equilibrium and appear to be standing on a sphere in space.

2. Why does the sphere in the riddle represent the Earth?

The sphere in the riddle represents the Earth because the Earth is approximately spherical in shape. This shape is a result of the Earth's rotation and the gravitational force acting on it. The Earth's spherical shape also allows for the phenomenon of gravity to exist, keeping us grounded on the surface.

3. How does the riddle relate to astronomy?

The riddle relates to astronomy as it highlights the concept of gravity and the spherical shape of celestial bodies. Astronomy is the study of objects and phenomena in space, including planets, stars, and galaxies. The riddle uses the concept of standing on a sphere in space to demonstrate the principles of gravity and the shape of celestial bodies, both of which are crucial in the field of astronomy.

4. What does the solution to the riddle reveal about the universe?

The solution to the riddle reveals that the universe is made up of various celestial bodies, such as planets, stars, and galaxies, that are all held together by the force of gravity. This force plays a crucial role in shaping the universe and allowing for the existence of life on Earth. The riddle also highlights the spherical shape of these celestial bodies, which is a result of gravity and the rotation of these objects.

5. How does the riddle challenge our understanding of the universe?

The riddle challenges our understanding of the universe by presenting a scenario that may seem counterintuitive at first. It asks us to imagine standing on a sphere in space, which goes against our everyday experiences on Earth. This challenges us to think beyond our limited perspective and consider the vastness and complexity of the universe. It also encourages us to explore and question the fundamental principles and laws that govern the universe.