1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Astronomy Book

1. Jul 21, 2008 #1
    I am looking for a book to read that will give me a good introduction to astronomy. I am going to be a freshman in college this fall and am looking for a not too advanced but interesting book with good pictures that will provide a good outline of astronomy.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2008 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You could try Brian May and Patrick Moore's new book (I think it's called something like "Bang"). It's got some fantastic pictures in it, and seems quite introductory.
  4. Jul 24, 2008 #3
    I recommend Freedman and Kauffman's "Universe". It gives a good background on a variety of astronomical subjects, uses no mathematics except for "Toolbox sections" which can be skipped, and has many colorful pictures with supporting text that describes why various wavelengths of light (infrared, x-ray, etc.) are used for imaging objects. Older editions should be very cheap.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?