Astronomy Career age limit

• Thread starter sundown
  • Start date
Hi all,

Does anyone knows of any Astronomy graduate who earn Phd or Bsc or Msc at age between 35-45?

Whats the oldest age ever to get Astro Phd?

I have a Bachelor of Science in Physics ( Boston , MA) and I am 37 years of age, I have applied ( sucessful application) to do Master ( One year) and subsequently PHd in ASTROPHSYICS at University Of London, UK for a period of 3-4 years

Is it to late to earned a Phd before 42 and apply for a job in the related area of study?

Can anyone share any experiences?

Thanks and Cheers

Answers and Replies

Simfish
Gold Member
Well Francis Crick got PhD at 35.

That's the oldest notable person I know of

No one would ever know how well YOU can perform at certain age. If you believe in yourself, that is all you need. Normal researcher can work until their 60-70s.

the bottem line is that, age is ususally the factor of creativity and experience. I believe you would be the one who knows yourself the most.
Choosing the right balance is your own job.

For me, I much rather get a PhD around 30s instead of getting it in my 20s. becaz I can see through a lot more at that age. I want quality more than quantity.

J77
It's never too old - as long as you can afford it :smile:

The great thing about the UK is that it's all about research - you won't have to worry about doing courses or being tested.

You can take the PhD in your stride and enjoy your work.

(As long as you can afford it :wink: )

J77 said:
It's never too old - as long as you can afford it :smile:

The great thing about the UK is that it's all about research - you won't have to worry about doing courses or being tested.

You can take the PhD in your stride and enjoy your work.

(As long as you can afford it :wink: )

That is only because the MS is seperated from the PhD in the UK, not the case generally in the US.

thanks

Thanks for the replies and comments. I am taking the UK route possibly and money is not an issue,thankfully.

Would love to hear more replies :)