Astronomy - Elemental composition of the Earth

In summary, the conversation discusses the task of calculating the fraction of mass contributed by each element and oxide on Earth. The individual needs to know the total number of Si atoms on Earth, and is trying to find a way to obtain this information from the data provided on the abundance of Si atoms in the solar atmosphere and CI chondrites. They are seeking assistance in completing their calculations.
CaptainEvil

Homework Statement

I am given a table with the abundances of atoms of different elements per 1000 Si atoms.
The question wants me to tabulate the fraction of mass of the Earth that each element, and different oxides contribute. But to do this I need to know how many Si atoms there are so I can calculate total amount of Si atoms. I could look this up, but I have a feeling I need to solve given the data, but there isn't any (or at least I think)

Homework Equations

The only data on silicon given is its molar mass, 28.09g/mol, its boiling and melting points (irrelevent) and its abundance (per 1000 Si atoms) - obviously 1000 - in both solar atmosphere and CI chondrites.

I have the same data for every other element, and I need to know how to find the number of Si atoms in total. Once I find that I can finish the question. Any help?

The Attempt at a Solution

For comparison only, I looked up total Si by mass to be 15.2%, which is 9.07e26g -> 3.23e25 mol -> 1.95e49 atoms. Then as an example, taking that number and comparing it to Fe atoms, where the abundance is 890atoms (per 1000 of Si) I found Fe atoms = 1.73e49 -> 2.87e25 mol -> 1.6e24kg -> 26% mass of the earth

So looks like I'd be on the right track -> if there was a way to find total number of Si atoms from the chart given. Any help please?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello, it seems like you are trying to calculate the fraction of mass contributed by each element and oxide on Earth. To do this, you will need to know the total number of Si atoms present on Earth. One way to find this information is to use the data provided on the abundance of Si atoms per 1000 Si atoms in the solar atmosphere and CI chondrites. You can use this information to estimate the total number of Si atoms on Earth by assuming that the abundance of Si atoms in these two sources is representative of the overall abundance of Si on Earth. You can then use this estimated number of Si atoms to calculate the fraction of mass contributed by each element and oxide on Earth. I hope this helps. Good luck with your calculations!

I understand your dilemma in trying to find the total number of Si atoms from the given data. However, it is important to note that the composition of the Earth is not solely based on silicon. There are many other elements and compounds that make up the Earth's composition. Therefore, it is necessary to consider the abundance of all elements and compounds in order to accurately determine the fraction of mass contributed by each one.

One approach you could take is to use the data on the abundance of each element and compound to calculate the total mass contributed by each one, and then compare it to the total mass of the Earth. This would give you a rough estimate of the fraction of mass contributed by each component.

Another approach would be to use data from other sources, such as geological studies, to get a more accurate estimate of the composition of the Earth. This would involve looking at the distribution of elements and compounds in different layers of the Earth and using that to calculate the overall composition.

In conclusion, while it may be challenging to find the total number of Si atoms from the given data, it is important to consider all elements and compounds in order to accurately determine the fraction of mass contributed by each one. This will provide a more comprehensive understanding of the elemental composition of the Earth.

What is the elemental composition of the Earth?

The Earth's composition is primarily made up of iron, oxygen, silicon, and magnesium, which make up about 90% of its mass. The remaining 10% consists of various other elements such as sulfur, nickel, calcium, and potassium.

How do scientists determine the elemental composition of the Earth?

Scientists use a variety of methods including analyzing the Earth's crust and rocks, studying meteorites and other celestial bodies, and conducting experiments in labs to determine the elemental composition of the Earth.

What role do elements play in the formation and evolution of the Earth?

Elements play a crucial role in the formation and evolution of the Earth. The Earth's formation was a result of the collisions and accretion of various elements, and the evolution of the Earth's atmosphere, oceans, and life forms also heavily rely on the presence and interaction of different elements.

How does the elemental composition of the Earth compare to other planets in our solar system?

The elemental composition of the Earth is similar to that of other rocky planets in our solar system, such as Mars and Venus. However, the gas giants like Jupiter and Saturn have a significantly different composition, with a larger proportion of hydrogen and helium.

Can the elemental composition of the Earth change over time?

Yes, the Earth's elemental composition can change over time through geological processes such as volcanic eruptions, erosion, and weathering. Additionally, human activities such as mining and pollution also contribute to changes in the Earth's composition.