Astronomy events schedule

1. Phobos

Phobos 2,020
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi everyone

Use this topic for posts about ongoing/upcoming stargazing events (e.g., comets, eclipses, occultations, meteor showers, etc.).

-Phobos

2. jcsd
  3. Phobos: Do you mean ANY sky watch? There's one here in Sacramento, I think. It's supposed to be every last Friday of the month.

4. My previous link didn't work.

Try this:

Last edited: Mar 19, 2003
  5. Umm, I don't think the link works, Mentat.

Why are auroras only visible in Alaska?

6. Well for news on what is happening in april....

National Dark Sky Week starts in early April! go here

Help reduce light pollution and observe the night sky!

7. Phobos

Phobos 2,020
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Star parties are ok to list here too. In general, I meant things like letting everyone know about upcoming astronomical events (like, events in the sky).

For example, you amateur astronomers might be interested to know that the asteroid Vesta will be visible (binocs, small 'scopes) later this month Peak magnitude on March 27.

see here for more details...
    http://skyandtelescope.com/observing/objects/asteroids/article_895_1.asp

Basically, use this topic to keep everyone informed of interesting things to watch for and offer advice for best viewing, etc.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2003
  8. Labguy

Labguy 733
    Science Advisor

Don't know how much advance notice you need, but in August, Mars will be closer to Earth than it has been for 73,000 years. Its apparent diameter will be larger than Saturn's planetary disk is when Saturn is at opposition.

Get your telescopes ready now.

9. Yeah well Labguy I just ran and got my telescope ready anyways

That is quite interesting! I havent gotten to use my new telescope much this winter because it has been too darn cloudy... HOPEFULLY it wont be this spring and summer!

10. Labguy

Labguy 733
    Science Advisor

For neat and detailed stuff, you can go to JPL's calendar and click on the month of your choice.

http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/calendar/

For instance, go to Aug. 28th to find out the Mars info I mentioned above.

11. hmmm do you guys think I or Astronomer107 *looks for Astronomer107*

or just me I guess contact them to see if they could put NDSW on tehir calender?

By the way Astronomer107 should be rejoining PF soon she has been very busy she got web. press realeases and she has been interviewed twice and has been talking constantly to a few people at IDSA (international dark sky association)

12. Excellent topic Phobos!

I don't really have much to add at this time, other than Jupiter is pretty darn bright. Last night the sky was overcast, but Jupiter still shown through the clouds. (At least by Notre Dame.) Amazing.
    I think Jupiter is supposed to start moving West-to-East soon too.
    (Saturn and Mars are still pretty bright right now too.)

13. http://www.heavens-above.com is awesome. Register free, log in coordinates and let the site give you viewing times for different events and where to look. At the moment Comet Kudo-Fujikawa is just below the front foot of Orion (Betelgeuse), this is the data. I'll have to have a look tonight. Not sure if you can see 11.1 magnitude with the naked eye from the city. Don't know enough about it.

All data valid for local time 15:08:13, 28 Mar (UTC 04:08:13, 28 Mar)
    Geocentric Data
    Right Ascension (J2000): 5h 5m 6.8s
    Declination (J2000): -11° 54' 23"
    Constellation: Lepus
    Magnitude: 11.1
    Distance from Earth: 1.4735 AU
    Light time: 735 seconds

Heliocentric Data
    Distance from Sun: 1.4851 AU
    Perihelion: 0.1901 AU
    (29-Jan-2003)
    Aphelion: 38,016.21 AU
    Period: 2,620,714.4 years
    Eccentricity: 0.999990
    Inclination to ecliptic: 94.151°
    Longitude of ascending node: 119.067°
    Argument of perihelion: 187.561°

Raavin

14. Labguy

Labguy 733
    Science Advisor

No, you couldn't. If you were in very dark skies in a very dark spot in the western US, magnitude 6 seen naked eye is considered very good seeing. The darkest I have ever seen was one night when a magnitude 6.9 star could be seen, but this is very rare. Magnitude 11 is usually considered near the limit for a good 8 inch telescope.

15. I heard from a math major who's taking the astronomy class at my school that there is a nebula or a new star forming in Orion's belt. Can anybody confirm that?

16. Labguy

Labguy 733
    Science Advisor

Yes, it is one of the largest star forming regions known.

http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/archive/2000/19/

Last edited: Mar 29, 2003
  17. Thanks Labguy!

I was just outside looking at Orion and it's just so amazing thinking of something like that going on while my eyes are on it (not literally of course).

18. Some info for April skywatchers:
    --------------------
    Moon Phases:
    April 1 - New
    April 9 - 1st Quarter
    April 16 - Full
    April 23 - Last Quarter
    --------------------
    Planets Visible For April 2003: (as quoted from www.space.com)

-Mercury, having conjuncted with the Sun in March, is back in the evening sky. This month offers an excellent chance for to catch this illusive planet. Observational circumstances improve through April 16, when Mercury is at its "greatest elongation east," and then diminish. Look for it in the west-northwest as soon as it gets dark. Among the faint stars of Pisces and Aries, it sets an hour and a half to two hours after the Sun.

-Venus, while still in the morning sky, rises only a short while before the Sun and is not easy to see this month. If you insist, look very low in the east southeast at morning twilight.

-Mars rises several hours before the Sun, but doesn’t get very high in the sky before dawn. (The farther South you go, the better it gets. In fact, observers in the Southern Hemisphere see it quite high in the sky before dawn.) Mars starts the month in Sagittarius and ends in Capricornus. While it is not exceptionally bright, its ruddy color makes it stand out.

-Jupiter, having been in retrograde motion since early December, becomes stationary on April 4 and thereafter resumes normal forward (eastward) motion among the stars. It moves slowly through the faint stars of Cancer, beginning the month very near the "Beehive" star cluster (M44). Both should fit nicely into a binocular field of view, with Jupiter slightly below and to the left of the cluster in the early evening, just to the left later on.

-Saturn is fairly well up in the early evening southestern sky, in "horns" of Taurus, the Bull. It lingers near the star Zeta Tauri, above Orion and some 7 or 8 degrees below the star cluster M35 at the feet of Gemini. But look early, Saturn sets by midnight or before.
    --------------------
    Sunday, 4/6
    Daylight Saving Time returns, 2 a.m.
    (Except for me, I switch time zones. Really!)
    --------------------
    Tuesday, 4/22
    Lyrid Meteors, 1:00 p.m.

The timing for this meteor shower emanating from the constellation Lyra is not good. However, this shower is actually spread out quite a bit, so even if you can’t observe peak time (mid-day) you may be able to see some meteors in the hours before dawn on both Tuesday and Wednesday. If you’re an early bird, Lyra is high in the east-southeast at about 4 a.m. There will be a bright Moon in the sky at that time, too.
    --------------------

19. Labguy

Labguy 733
    Science Advisor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thead via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?