Astronomy events schedule

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter Phobos
  • Start date

Someone who knows if anything astronomical is happening in the northern hemisphere (Northern Europe) this July? :)

Redbelly98
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author

Moderator's note: Please, let's keep the posts in this thread on-topic. We have had to delete a number of off-topic posts in recent months.

Any local event in NOVA, near DC? Send a PM if anyone knows of any please

Redbelly98
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author

http://news.yahoo.com/largest-sunspot-years-observed-sun-215806669.html"
The sunspot behemoth isn't yet facing our planet, but was spotted today (Nov. 3) by NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory (SDO) satellite. The spacecraft's photos of the giant sunspot show the solar region as it comes into view on the northeastern edge, or limb, of the sun.

When it does turn our way in the days ahead, it should be an "easy target for backyard solar telescopes," according to SpaceWeather.com.

Last edited by a moderator:
Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor

It's November now ricci!

"When it does turn our way in the days ahead, it should be an "easy target for backyard solar telescopes," according to SpaceWeather.com."

Some of my friends told me it is also visible with the naked eye (using protection of course).

davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award

good view of totality after the clouds cleared minutes before totality started :)

looking forward to the Venus transit next year, last one of the pair and a long time before the next set. no one alive today will see it.

cheers
Dave

Attachments

Quadrantids Meteor Shower tonight. Starting at about 3AM when the moon sets to dawn will be the best viewing time. Only happens today.

davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award

Quadrantids Meteor Shower tonight. Starting at about 3AM when the moon sets to dawn will be the best viewing time. Only happens today.
Thanks for the heads up :)

Have only arrived back in the country after xmas and NY overseas and havent had a chance to catch up on up coming events

cheers
Dave

Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor

Start planning your trips now. On June 5-6 the last transit of Venus across the Sun for the next 105 years will occur. Observers in the US can only see part of the transit, as it starts to occur at sunset.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transit_of_Venus,_2012

PhysicoRaj
Gold Member

On June 5-6 the last transit of Venus across the Sun for the next 105 years will occur.
In which all countries is it view-able? Please let me know.

Borek
Mentor

Follow links from the wikipedia article to find out details, it is all there.

Redbelly98
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author

Follow links from the wikipedia article to find out details, it is all there.
Yup, the map with the caption "Where the 2012 transit will be visible" is pretty informative.

PhysicoRaj
Gold Member

Thanks a lot.

Annular Solar Eclipse

May 20 - Annular Solar Eclipse. The path of annularity will begin in southern China and move east through Japan, the northern Pacific Ocean, and into the western United States. A partial eclipse will be visible throughout parts of eastern Asia and most of North America.

Borek
Mentor

Bump: Venus transit is on Wednesday.

Drakkith
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor

Bump: Venus transit is on Wednesday.
Woohoo!

Tuesday for the United States.

chemisttree
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member

Tuesday around 5:00 pm Central is first contact and it lasts just over 6 hours... well past sunset. That's Wednesday about midnight Central European Time. Sorry Borek. You should be able to follow it via GLORIA though.

Borek
Mentor

If not for the weather it should be visible here around sunrise.

turbo
Gold Member

I just checked and I seem to have misplaced my welders' glass. May have to go buy another...

davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award

finally got my camera and solar filter mated to the scope, now all I need is for this contineous rain to disappear.

Transit starts, here in Sydney, at 08:09 eastern Australia time (local time) ~ 1 hour after sunrise and goes through to ~ 14:44 hrs local time

cheers
Dave

chemisttree
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Last edited by a moderator:

Great. I've been looking forward to seeing this for the past week, but it began to rain before it got here, so I can't see it. Good thing I've got this.

davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award

nice pic chemistree

well done, its just coming to an end here in eastern Australia and I missed 3rd and 4th contacts the weather finally totally crapped out

Dave