Begin Astronomy: Best Books for Beginners with Physics/Math Background

In summary, for someone interested in studying astronomy with a strong background in physics and math, the recommended books are "Foundations of Astrophysics" by Barbara Ryden and Bradley M. Peterson and "An Introduction to Modern Astrophysics" by Bradley W. Carroll and Dale A. Ostlie. For a more basic understanding of astronomical theory, "Discovering the Universe" by Neil F. Comins is also a good option. However, it may not be as rigorous as desired. Other resources such as "Burnham's Celestial Handbook" and "Tirion's atlases" are also mentioned for observational astronomy.
Acut
I am interested in studying astronomy.
What books would you recommend for a beginner in this subject? I have a fairly strong knowledge in Physics and Math.

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
hmm i am just a newbie at astronomy[PLAIN]http://www.focustracker.com/i/smilies/smile.gif [Broken]

Hm, I am looking for a book that introduces astronomy - not sure if a Astrophysics book would cover it. It should explain things like celestial sphere, tides, eclipses, spherical coordinates, doppler shift, hertzprung-russell diagrams, stellar evolution, some features of the main stars and constellations.

I'm NOT looking those books aimed at children or the layperson, but one that shows the math behind the phenomenon. I do have a solid knowledge of Mechanics, but no General Relativity of Quantum Mechanics book, please.

I started in observational astronomy and bought the 3-volume set of Burnham's. Next was the Deep Sky Observers set, and then better and better atlases. Tirion's atlases have always been top-drawer. If you want books that address tides, eclipses, etc, it might be tough to distill that down into a few good books.

Acut said:
Hm, I am looking for a book that introduces astronomy - not sure if a Astrophysics book would cover it. It should explain things like celestial sphere, tides, eclipses, spherical coordinates, doppler shift, hertzprung-russell diagrams, stellar evolution, some features of the main stars and constellations.

I'm NOT looking those books aimed at children or the layperson, but one that shows the math behind the phenomenon. I do have a solid knowledge of Mechanics, but no General Relativity of Quantum Mechanics book, please.
Maybe something like http://www.amazon.com/dp/0716785846/?tag=pfamazon01-20 then?

Well, the stuff that's on that website is covered in the book I suggested. I don't know how rigorous you want it to be or how that book would compare to the desired standard, though. But basically, we're going to be using the book in both of our introductory astronomy classes on our solar system and later stars in general.

1. What are some recommended books for beginners interested in astronomy?

Some popular books for beginners with a background in physics or math include "Astronomy: A Self-Teaching Guide" by Dinah L. Moché, "Astrophysics for People in a Hurry" by Neil deGrasse Tyson, and "The Cosmic Perspective" by Jeffrey O. Bennett.

2. How important is a background in physics or math for understanding astronomy?

A background in physics or math can be very helpful in understanding the concepts and calculations involved in astronomy. However, there are also many beginner-level books that explain these concepts in a more accessible way, so a strong background in these subjects is not necessary.

3. Are there any online resources for learning about astronomy?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning about astronomy, including websites, videos, and online courses. Some popular websites include NASA's "Astronomy Picture of the Day" and "Sky & Telescope" magazine's website.

4. Do I need a telescope to learn about astronomy?

No, a telescope is not necessary for learning about astronomy. Many beginner-level books focus on the concepts and theories of astronomy, and there are also many online resources and apps that allow you to explore the night sky without a telescope.

5. Are there any supplemental materials I should use in addition to a beginner's astronomy book?

Yes, there are many helpful supplemental materials that can enhance your understanding of astronomy. Some options include star charts, astronomy apps, and online simulations. Joining a local astronomy club or attending star parties can also provide hands-on learning opportunities.