Astronomy Help: Minimum Mass of Stars & Sun's Energy Production Explained

• Thread starter karol17
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Astronomy
In summary, the conversation discusses two questions related to stars and the sun. The first question asks about the minimum mass of stars if they were powered by helium instead of hydrogen, and the second question asks about the energy produced by the sun every second. The conversation also includes some confusion about the questions and the use of scientific notation.
karol17
Hey
can someone help me with the followng 2 questions, i am so confuzed and have no idea how to start and what formulas to use.

1. the minimum mass of a star is 0.08 solar mass or 80 Jupiter masses. If the fuel that powered stars was helium instead of hydrogen would the minimum mass of stars be more, les or still be 0.08 sollar mass? (hint: think of the number of protons in nuclei)

2. the sun emits as much energy as 3.9 *10^24 100- Watts light-bulbs (that’s a whole lot of light bulbs!) every second. We call that number its luminosity. Give that the radius of the sun is constant in time, how much energy is produced in the Sun every second? Is it more than, less than or equal to its luminosity? Justify your answer ( no calculations necessary)

Physics news on Phys.org
1, is a dumb question - depending on what level of course this is - are we supposed to just simply consider everything the same except the number of protons, go into the CNO cycle,conditions for direct He3 (He4) fusion or what?

2, Is this simply asking you how many J/s there are in 100W * 3.8e24 ?

Have you copied these questions down correctly or are you a victim of some stupid watered down 'modern' physics course? If so we will do our best - it's not your fault!

I am in an intro to astronomy course and these questions are straight from my assignment. i do not understand what any of it means so i don't even know how to go about solving them

thank you so much

2, A watt is one joule (energy) per second. So a 100W light bulb emits 100J/s
Work out how many Joules/s the sun emits if it has 3.9x10^24 of these light bulbs.

ps do you know what numbers like 3.9x10^24 mean?

1. What is astronomy?

Astronomy is the study of objects and phenomena that exist beyond the Earth's atmosphere, including planets, stars, galaxies, and other celestial bodies. It also involves understanding the physical and chemical properties of these objects and how they interact with each other.

2. How is astronomy different from astrology?

Astronomy is a scientific field that uses observation and experimentation to understand the universe, while astrology is a belief system that suggests a link between celestial events and human affairs. Astronomy is based on evidence and data, while astrology is not considered a science.

3. What can I do with a degree in astronomy?

A degree in astronomy can lead to various career paths, such as working as a research scientist, data analyst, educator, or science journalist. It can also open up opportunities in related fields such as engineering, computer science, and data analysis.

4. How can I get started with astronomy?

To get started with astronomy, you can begin by learning the basics of astronomy through online courses, books, or local classes. You can also join an astronomy club or attend star parties to meet and learn from experienced astronomers. Additionally, purchasing or borrowing a telescope can help you observe celestial objects and develop your skills.

5. Why is astronomy important?

Astronomy is important because it helps us understand the origins, evolution, and structure of the universe. It also has practical applications, such as improving our understanding of time and navigation, developing technology and instruments, and studying potential threats from asteroids and other celestial objects.