Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Astronomy Napster

1. Oct 5, 2003 #1

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

Was cleaning out my PM inbox and outbox----sometimes miss messages because the boxes overflow----and saw that back in August I sent someone a link to a good "history of astronomy" webpage which I then forgot about. Where to put good astro links?

So here is a thread for useful general astronomy links:
    Ned Wright should be here, and Lineweaver, and the Wendy Freedman/Michael Turner survey, and Siobahn Morgan's astronomy course homework exercises, and something like an online textbook at U. Rochester where Jay Pasachoff is but there is a different name on the lecturenotes. In short the great online wellsprings of general astro info.

My contribution is Barbara Becker's history page, simply because I have it in hand and nowhere else to put it. She teaches at UC Irvine in the history department and this is a series of lecturenotes that make a kind of book called "Exploring the Cosmos".

http://eee.uci.edu/clients/bjbecker/ExploringtheCosmos/

Last edited: Oct 5, 2003
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2003 #2

marcus

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award
    Dearly Missed

Im going to erase this particular post because it is a trivial footnote irrelevant to the thread but Barbara Becker had the temerity to head her TOC with a rhymed verse of her own making that has the rhymescheme ABCXD, therefore she gets points for quirkiness in my book of quirkiness ratings. Also if you want to know about Slipher (Hubble wasnt the first) you can believe her---she is a historian who seems to get the science part as well

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?