Astronomy or planetary science?

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's interests in physics and astronomy, particularly in the areas of planetary science and astrobiology. They are considering pursuing graduate school in either astronomy or planetary science, and are also curious about potential career paths outside of academia. They mention the importance of having a strong quantitative background in both fields and suggest looking for research opportunities that align with one's interests when considering graduate programs. They also suggest checking resources such as the DPS and AAS websites for job postings in both academia and industry to get a better understanding of potential career paths.
torquemada
My main interest in physics is b/c of astronomy. I'm doing physics undergrad as a stepping stone to grad school astronomy/astrophysics. However upon introspection I notice that my main interest in space lies in the solar system and exoplanets and the potential for life. Is astronomy then the right choice, or is it too broad given that all sorts of space objects are studied? Would planetary science serve me better?

Interests aside, my main secondary concern is in the quantitative nature of the two fields. In case academia doesn't work out, I hear that the highly quantitative nature of astronomy/astrophysics makes you skilled to work in other disciplines that value intense math and reasoning (e.g. finance etc). How much less quantitative is grad-level planetary science, if it is? Do planetary scientists have the skills and knowledge to take the fruits of their labor elsewhere if academia doesn't work out for them? Or are they stuck in academia like, say, a liberal arts PhD? Or maybe somewhere in between those two extremes? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I know this is a very old thread, but figured I'd put in my 2 cents.

I'm an undergrad myself, and will start applying to grad schools come falls. My interest is in Planetary Science. Basically right now I'm a Phys and Geo double major and enjoyed Astrophysics but am more interested in finding out what objects are made of and what their surfaces are like. Most of the programs I'm looking for lists planetary science under their geology department and involves chemistry, rocks, atomospheres, formation, etc.
Its sounds like you are interested in Astrobiology, which I don't have experience in, but as you look at grad schools, look for people who are doing research that interests you and that will tell you what is more honed to your interests.

Also, as for careers, again, I'm not an expert, but it would depend on what area you concentrated on within Planetary science. If you are looking at bio type stuff, no idea what it offered there. But either way you should graduate with a solid background in math, problem solving, data analysis, and some programming. That background should qualify you for jobs outside the realm of academia, if you keep your mind open about how you apply them. You may want to check out the DPS (Division of Planetary Science) of AAS (American Astronomical Society) website: dps.aas.org to look at options as well as AAS website: aas.org Both websites include job postings from both academia and industry. That way you can see what stuff is a better fit. :)

1. What is the difference between astronomy and planetary science?

Astronomy is the study of celestial objects and phenomena outside of Earth's atmosphere, while planetary science specifically focuses on the study of planets and their systems. While there is some overlap between the two fields, astronomy is more broad and can include the study of stars, galaxies, and other objects in the universe.

2. How do scientists gather information about planets and other celestial bodies?

Scientists use a variety of methods to gather information about planets and other celestial bodies. These include telescopes (both ground-based and space-based), spacecraft missions, and remote sensing techniques such as radar and spectroscopy. Data collected from these methods can provide valuable insights into the composition, structure, and behavior of these objects.

3. What are some current areas of research in planetary science?

Some current areas of research in planetary science include the search for habitable exoplanets, the study of planetary atmospheres and their potential for supporting life, and the exploration of our own solar system through spacecraft missions. Other areas of interest include the formation and evolution of planets and understanding the potential for space travel and colonization.

4. How does the study of astronomy and planetary science benefit society?

The study of astronomy and planetary science has numerous benefits for society. It helps us understand the origins and evolution of our universe, provides insights into potential threats from space objects such as asteroids, and contributes to technological advancements in areas such as space travel and communication. Additionally, the study of exoplanets and the search for extraterrestrial life can inspire curiosity and wonder about our place in the universe.

5. How can I get involved in the field of astronomy or planetary science?

There are many ways to get involved in the field of astronomy or planetary science. You can pursue a degree in a related field such as physics, astronomy, or geology. You can also participate in citizen science projects, attend conferences and workshops, or join astronomy clubs and organizations. Additionally, many universities and research institutions offer internships and research opportunities for students interested in these fields.