1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Programs Astronomy PhD in Europe

1. Jun 30, 2010 #1
    Hello all-

I'm currently wrapping up a Physics M.S. in astrophysics at a well-known university in the USA for this field, and for a few reasons I want to get my Astronomy PhD in Europe, focusing on experiment (I know I want to transfer from here because the research opportunities don't interest me, and I like the system over there better and love to travel so it'd be pretty awesome if it worked out). I am a US citizen and have EU citizenship as well through my Hungarian parents, which is helpful. As a difficulty though the only languages I speak fluently are English and Hungarian!

Problem is I'm trying hard right now to find universities within this subset- not too picky about the country save the language issues above- and Googling isn't being very helpful. So can anyone tell me some universities in Europe I can look into for experimental astronomy, or where to look into it? I've looked into the UK and while I'll be applying it looks like I'll have issues securing a stipend with just an EU citizenship (true?) so someplace like Germany or the Netherlands might work although I'm eager to hear any suggestions. :) Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2016 #2

DrSteve

Gold Member

Are trying to suggests that it's hard to find a PhD program in astronomy in Europe?

Researching programs is the first obstacle that needs to be surmounted in getting a PhD and you seem to be passing the buck. It took me less than a minute to do this http://www.phdportal.eu/search/?q=di-82|lv-phd&order=relevance

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted