1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Programs Astronomy, Physics, Engineering

1. Jul 3, 2016 #1
    Hey guys.
    I am in my last year of high school and I need to figure out what my major is going to be, since I will be applying to universities next summer. I am really interested in astronomy but I know I would not be able to get a job in my country with a degree in either astronomy or astrophysics. So instead, I thought of doing a major in physics. But yet again, it is really hard to get a job in here with a physics degree. As a last resort, I am now thinking of majoring in mechanical engineering or mechatronics. I can't really say I am interested in engineering as much as I am interested in astrophysics or physics but I will have a better chance of employment. What do you think I should do? Should I go with something that I want to do or something that would get me a job?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 3, 2016 #2

DrSteve

Gold Member

4. Jul 4, 2016 #3

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Something you want to do. Life is too short to be spent mulling over practically versus desires. A physics degree isn't nearly as unemployable as people may think - even if you don't up doing physics, at least you had the chance to study what interested you.

Obviously I'd recommend a physics degree over an astronomy degree for undergraduate, to keep as many options open as possible.

Really, this is a very personal question you'll have to answer yourself. It comes down to your own expectations and tolerance of perceived risks.

5. Jul 4, 2016 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

This. This is particularly true if you want to go to grad school in astronomy. Many schools have combined physics/astronomy departments and they want to make sure that their graduate students can pass their quals. A physics bachelor's goes part of the way towards doing this.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted