Astronomy Q&A Game

• Thread starter Nicool002
  • Start date

Nicool002

[SOLVED] Astronomy Q&A Game

Hi guys! Most of you know how this works but for the newcomers:

The rules are this: someone will ask a question and if the question is not answered correctly within 3 days then a new question will be posted. If an answer to a question is posted and the person that posted the question does not respond to the answer within 2 to 3 days, then the first person to have answered the question will then be able to post their own question. HAVE FUN AND LEARN!

I will start:

Question: What is the brightest star in the Northern Sky? (excluding the sun)

I'm making an educated guess here:

Alpha Canis Majoris (Sirius)?

Techincally, I think Deneb is the "brightest" but only in absolute magnitude. It's so far away that it really doesn't make much of a difference since its apparent magnitude is not as bright as Sirius.

Hey it's only a guess.

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
oh, man. I better lock this now before you guys swamp our server resources again.
-jk

Nicool002

haha *hurt look* us? Phobos why ever would you say that? hehe

Yes sting you are correct, your go.

My go? My turn to ask a question (I never participated in the original thread so I have no idea how this works)?

Okay, my question: What is the name of the large multiringed basin located on Mercury at a longitude of 180 degrees?

Nicool002

I believe that it is the Caloris Basin. Am I correct?

$#%^! I sure pick easy questions don't I?

Yes, you got it right. I guess, it's "your go"

Nicool002

I knew that from when I studied Astronomy for Science Olympiad (By the way guys I got a gold medal in Astronomy for the Competition )

Ok. True Or False

Do we havea supermassive black hole at the center of our galaxy?

Shoot, that was quick...

Uhhh truefalse...

Actually, I don't know if it was ever "proven" but I'm going with "true"

Nicool002

Correct, it is true. On Discover, they lookd at something like 37 galaxies and in each one, they found a supermassive black hole. Then, they looked at our galaxy and guesss what they found... Oh wait, sting already said it.

Yippee!

Okay, I guess it's my turn:

What is the name given to the energy generation in which a stellar object initiates helium burning by the triple-alpha process?

Nicool002

OK I don't think I know this one but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the Nuclear Fusion that a star relies on to live.... but I am not sure if that's right.

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
for how many years does pluto enter into neptune's orbit, and how many years does it take pluto to make one revolution around the sun?

no cheating...

Nicool002

Kerrie I'm gonna answer your question but first The way I put it in the rules was that one question had to be answered before the next was asked that way you dont have a bunch of questions going on at once :smile:

Answer: Pluto takes 247 years that is the first answer. The second is... well I am not sure but I think it is around 100 years although that is basicaly just a guess.

OK I don't think I know this one but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say the Nuclear Fusion that a star relies on to live.... but I am not sure if that's right.
Generally, yes, but I was thinking more of a specific name but I'll give you a clue (two words)

helium fusion...?

Last edited:

damgo

What is the 'helium flash'?

how many years does it take pluto to make one revolution around the sun
Well if I was being tricky I would say exactly 1. Plutonian year that is :wink:

Raavin

axeeonn

Darn, I do believe damgo got it.

RuroumiKenshin

Originally posted by Raavin
Well if I was being tricky I would say exactly 1. Plutonian year that is :wink:

Raavin
It takes pluto 250 earth years to make one revolution around the sun.

I think Damgo got it too. The 'initiation' would seem to be the helium flash which continues into helium fusion. I think that's right, as the helium fuses to carbon 12, then you then have carbon flash and I assume you could have oxygen and neon flash but, for reasons that elude me, it would seem that it is naturally unlikely do to the changes/reduction in pressure until it gets to iron.

Raavin

Last edited:
Yep, he's right.

Helium flash was the answer I was looking for.

damgo

:) Hmm.... okay, what does /\-CDM stand for, and what is it?

Can we have a normal Astronomy category

This may sound a bit sour but... now we are starting a new leaf, how about you starting a separate topic called "Astronomy Questions Game" so we can use the word "Astronomy" for a general topic of Astronomy without turning it into a sort of "Who wants to be a Millionaire" (an Aussie TV program :)

By the way, what happened to all the old posts, have they been classified due to the impending war or something?

[ome]

...cold dark matter...
...cold dark matter is composed of objects massive enough to move at sub-relativistic velocities...