1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Astronomy Research?

1. Jan 22, 2010 #1
    Astronomy Research??

Hi all, i am basically a software engineering student (pre-final year). I am good at programming and some math and physics, and i have so much craze about astronomy/space research and star gazing and everything related to astronomy.

I wish i can take up some 'real' problem in space technology and do some research on it using software engineering approach and try devising a solution for that.

I will be much delighted if some one can enlighten me about the stuff and about where and what exactly to start with. It would be much much helpful if i could get some clear expert advice on this.

Thanks so much for answering! =]

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2010 #2

eri

Re: Astronomy Research??

I suggest you try getting in touch with an astronomy or physics professor at your university. They might have a project you can work on with them. My university offers a program where students can get research credit for working with professors - see if there's a program like that set up at your school. But you'll need someone to guide you through it at this level - there's not much we could suggest for you to do on your own with limited knowledge of any particular astrophysical field.

4. Jan 23, 2010 #3
    Re: Astronomy Research??

@eri
    I have already tried that. There is no professor in my university that works on astronomy. All i got to do now is find a topic and explore it to do something useful. Some of the suggestions that i got till now are Digital Image processing for remote sensing and artificial intelligence for various automation. It would be helpful if you could suggest something like these.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook