Take Astronomy Survey Course to Prepare for Grad School?

In summary, the conversation is about whether the person, who is a physics major, should take an astronomy course at their school or do independent study in astrophysics in their senior year. They are unsure if the course will be beneficial and are considering their options. Some points brought up include the usefulness of positional astronomy and observational astronomy in relation to astrophysics, and the speaker's experience in a famous department full of cosmologists. Ultimately, it is recommended that the person take the survey course as it may be helpful for future studies and applications.
lubuntu
I am a physics major at a school with a limited program and no astronomy of astrophysics options. However, my goal is to go to Grad school for a cosmology/astrophysics. I would bet I know most of what is covered in the one astronomy related course my school offers, which is basically a survey course. So should I bother to take it or just try to do some independent study in Astrophysics in Senior year? Or Both?

EDIT: Maybe survey was the wrong word, I mean like an overview. Here is the course description: PHYSIC 121: Introduction to Astronomy

This class gives a desciptive (non-mathematical) introduction to astronomy and astrophysics.

Topics Covered: Introductory material on light, telescopes, and spectroscopy; properties of stars and stellar evolution, including the formation of stars, stellar energy cycles, red giants, white dwarfs, supernovae, neutron stars, and black holes; galactic structure; the expansion of the universe; cosmology; the past and future of the universe.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Positional astronomy really doesn't have a lot to do with astrophysics and even less with cosmology. Even if you are doing observational work, while it is useful to know why you can put in an observing time request for an object in Orion in winter but not in summer - the submission software will handle this for you anyway.

It's boring and tedious and you will forget at the stuff about ascending nodes and transit of first point of aries stuff 5mins after the exam anyway.

I'd say take the survey course. I had been an amateur astronomer since age 10, but I'm glad I took the intro course at my university before moving on. HR diagrams, finding distances to open clusters, practicing the application of physical laws - all very useful. We did very little on constellations and observational astronomy in the survey course. If you have an astronomy course available but don't take it, then apply to get into astrophysics grad school, that might look a little strange, especially if you want to do independent study your senior year. Take the course.

I did a Phd in a famous dept full of cosmologists. I was the only one with an astronomy degree, most people had either maths or physics.
Astrophysics courses (stellar evolution, HR diagrams etc) would be useful. Positional astronomy and spherical trig are not.
In the ugrad I also did cutting glass plates, loading plate holders and developing them all in the dark - this was not terribly useful for using Hubble.
The only time any of it was useful was when I was asked 'how many constellations are there' by an ancient astronomer in an interview.

EDIT - Doh, Am I being stupid here?
By astronomy survey course, do you mean a quick intro to astronomy or a class on astronomical surveying? (As in right ascensions, declinations shooting a stellar fix etc.)

ps. I would like to thank however thought that carrying a bunch of theodolites into a muddy freezing field miles out of town in the middle of the night in order to calculate your position from star fixes, would give anyone useful skills in observational cosmology

Last edited:

What is an astronomy survey course?

An astronomy survey course is a course that provides a broad overview of the field of astronomy. It covers a wide range of topics, from the history of astronomy to current theories and research methods. It is designed to give students a comprehensive understanding of the subject and prepare them for more advanced studies in graduate school.

Why is it important to take an astronomy survey course before applying to graduate school?

Taking an astronomy survey course can provide a strong foundation for students who are interested in pursuing a graduate degree in astronomy. It can help them develop a solid understanding of the subject and its various subfields, as well as expose them to different research methods and techniques. This can be beneficial when applying to graduate programs and can also help students determine their specific interests within the field.

What topics are typically covered in an astronomy survey course?

Topics covered in an astronomy survey course may vary, but they often include the history of astronomy, celestial mechanics, planetary science, stars and galaxies, cosmology, and observational techniques. The course may also cover current research and discoveries in the field, as well as discussions on the latest advancements and technologies.

How can taking an astronomy survey course improve my chances of getting into graduate school?

Taking an astronomy survey course can demonstrate to graduate programs that you have a strong foundation and understanding of the subject. It can also show your commitment and interest in pursuing a graduate degree in astronomy. Additionally, the course can provide you with experience and skills that can be valuable in your graduate studies, such as critical thinking, data analysis, and research methods.

Are there any prerequisites for taking an astronomy survey course?

Prerequisites for an astronomy survey course may vary depending on the institution. However, it is recommended to have a strong background in mathematics, physics, and other sciences. It is also helpful to have taken introductory courses in astronomy or related subjects before enrolling in an astronomy survey course.