1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Astronomy vs. Aerospace

1. Jan 31, 2014 #1
    Hi I was wondering which would be a better career choice. I have been in love with space my entire life and I never want to give that passion up. I am about to start applying to college and I don't know if I want to be an aerospace engineer or an astronomer. My hope is that if I become an Aerospace engineer I can go on to become an Astronaut seeing that the next space race is about to start up. But I am still enchanted, mesmerized, and awe struck by the cosmos. which should I choose??

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2014 #2
    As an astronomer, you would study space. As an Aerospace Engineer, you would build and design things that go into space.

Chances are, if you are an astronomer, the stuff you would study that is not already known is stuff that is very far away and currently irrelevant to, say, astronauts who've never even exited the solar system. I may be wrong about that in some way but what I mean to say is that as an aerospace engineer, you could potentially have a more direct impact on space travel.

And frankly, I don't see another space race coming up except for the private space race among companies rather than governments. And with regards to becoming an astronaut, well, hate to rain on your parade but that is probably a bit unlikely. If I were in your situation, I'd aim to make an impact in space travel as a Aerospace Engineer who might perhaps design some great new technology that will improve and expand space travel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook