1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Astrophysics advice

Tags:
  1. Nov 27, 2015 #1
    Hello,I am studying Applied Physics now ( I am first year student) . I want to focus on Astrophysics in future. Please , advise me. Whatshould I study in Chemistry, Math? which branch?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2015 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

4. Dec 25, 2015 #3
    Hey there :)

I studied astrophysics too at uni, and i really recommend studying some computational maths subjects! Learning matlab, python, and R will be really help when you get to the research stage :)

-Sara
    http://thephysicsmix.blogspot.com.au

5. Dec 25, 2015 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Do you actually have a major that says "applied physics"? It might not be a good idea to take that then. It's a better idea to take a "general physics" curriculum which will introduce you to experimental, applied, but also theoretical physics. Focusing only on the applied side might damage your chances later if you turn out you want to do theoretical stuff. Of course, I say all of this without really knowing what your curriculum actually covers.

But aside from that, I think getting a physics degree is your best bet. A chemistry or math major is not necessary.

If you want to know what to study in math, then that very much depends on what you're interested in, and whether you're looking at the applied or the theoretical side. So you should probably elaborate a bit. In any case, being familiar with single-variable calculus, multivariable calculus, vector calculus, linear algebra (you can never know enough linear algebra, even if it's heavy in theory!) will be very necessary. Going through Mary Boas' excellent book is a very good idea: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematical_Methods_in_the_Physical_Sciences This will be the minimum of math you'll need in physics. Whether you need more and what you need more heavily depends on what you want to do later. For example, if you want to do General Relativity, then you'll need to study much differential geometry.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook