Maximizing Grad School Opportunities for Astrophysics After Military Service

In summary, meeting your service requirement after your BS will not hinder your grad school chances. A few recommendations:1. Keep your grades up, especially your math and physics grades. Depending on your undergrad school, you should probably have a GPA well above 3.5.2. Take the GRE (general and Physics) your senior year. You'll forget too much if you wait until you are about to apply for grad school.3. Ask your research supervisor and a couple teachers to write letters of recommendation while your work for them is still fresh in their minds. 4-5 years from now, they can pull them up and send them.Masters degrees vary with respect to retaining core physics knowledge
Esaw4ever
Hello all, I am going to college this fall and I will be studying physics with a concentration on astrophysics, I am a pretty good student and afterwards I will serve 5 years in the Navy as an officer. My question is, will the 5 years I spend in the Navy hinder my chances of getting into top grad programs for astrophysics? I might also get a Masters right after graduation or during my time in the Navy.

Physics news on Phys.org
Meeting your service requirement after your BS will not hinder your grad school chances. A few recommendations:
1. Keep your grades up, especially your math and physics grades. Depending on your undergrad school, you should probably have a GPA well above 3.5.
2. Take the GRE (general and Physics) your senior year. You'll forget too much if you wait until you are about to apply for grad school.
3. Ask your research supervisor and a couple teachers to write letters of recommendation while your work for them is still fresh in their minds. 4-5 years from now, they can pull them up and send them.

The GRE is valid for five years. Unless you are in the Navy for exactly five years, you will need to retake it. And it will not be fresh.

Dr. Courtney said:
Meeting your service requirement after your BS will not hinder your grad school chances. A few recommendations:
1. Keep your grades up, especially your math and physics grades. Depending on your undergrad school, you should probably have a GPA well above 3.5.
2. Take the GRE (general and Physics) your senior year. You'll forget too much if you wait until you are about to apply for grad school.
3. Ask your research supervisor and a couple teachers to write letters of recommendation while your work for them is still fresh in their minds. 4-5 years from now, they can pull them up and send them.
Thank you Dr. As Vanadium said, it might not be exactly 5 years. Do you think that a Masters will help me with my retainment of knowledge? Both the masters and bachelors of science won’t be in astrophysics. My major will have only 4 astrophysics/astronomy classes, is this looked down upon by grad school admissions? Also (sorry for asking so many questions) what do you think about a double major? In my school everyone takes some engineering classes, even the humanities majors, so I was wondering if it was a good idea to double major with aerospace/mechanical engineering or comp sci.

Esaw4ever said:
Thank you Dr. As Vanadium said, it might not be exactly 5 years. Do you think that a Masters will help me with my retainment of knowledge? Both the masters and bachelors of science won’t be in astrophysics. My major will have only 4 astrophysics/astronomy classes, is this looked down upon by grad school admissions? Also (sorry for asking so many questions) what do you think about a double major? In my school everyone takes some engineering classes, even the humanities majors, so I was wondering if it was a good idea to double major with aerospace/mechanical engineering or comp sci.

For grad school in physics, focus on your math and physics courses and GPA. Double majors are rarely worth the hit in terms of lower GPA and also reduced time for research.

Masters degrees vary with respect to retaining core physics knowledge. If in the process you end up taking graduate level classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, electrodynamics, and statistical mechanics at a PhD granting institution, then you should be duly refreshed in a lot of physics. The same courses from a MS only granting school (no PhDs) would be much less valuable, since many of these schools gift lots of grades with little learning.

Are you actually at the Naval Academy? (I taught at USAFA, and my wife taught at West Point.) Humanities majors in engineering courses sound like a military academy? Coursework at the military academies is usually viewed more highly by grad schools than the same coursework at many ROTC schools. If you are going to Navy, contact me by PM and I'll share my email address. I mentored more published undergraduate research at USAFA in my four years there than any other faculty member. I'm a consultant now, but I still mentor a number of student projects for students who cannot find research opportunities at their home institutions. If the research doors open too slowly for you at Navy, we might find something you can collaborate on from a distance or perhaps even visit our lab in Louisiana if time permits.

Likes alantheastronomer and gmax137

1. What are some career options in astrophysics after serving in the Navy?

There are many career options in astrophysics after serving in the Navy. Some common options include working as a research scientist at a university or research institution, working for a government agency such as NASA or the National Science Foundation, or pursuing a career in private industry, such as working for a space exploration company.

2. How does a background in the Navy prepare someone for a career in astrophysics?

A background in the Navy can provide valuable skills and experience that are applicable to a career in astrophysics. This can include discipline, problem-solving skills, and the ability to work in a team setting. Additionally, many Navy personnel have experience with advanced technology and equipment that can be useful in the field of astrophysics.

3. What are some challenges faced by Navy veterans transitioning into a career in astrophysics?

One challenge faced by Navy veterans transitioning into a career in astrophysics is the academic and technical knowledge required for the field. While the Navy may have provided a strong foundation in math and science, additional education and training may be necessary to fully understand the complexities of astrophysics. Additionally, adjusting to a civilian work environment and culture may also be a challenge for some veterans.

4. Are there any opportunities for Navy veterans to continue their service in the field of astrophysics?

Yes, there are opportunities for Navy veterans to continue their service in the field of astrophysics. Some government agencies, such as NASA, may have programs specifically for veterans, and there are also opportunities to work on projects related to national defense and security. Additionally, many universities and research institutions have partnerships with the military and may offer opportunities for veterans to continue working in the field of astrophysics.

5. What are some important skills or qualities for success in a career in astrophysics after the Navy?

Some important skills and qualities for success in a career in astrophysics after the Navy include a strong foundation in math and science, critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and the ability to work in a team and communicate effectively. Additionally, having a passion for and curiosity about the mysteries of the universe can also be beneficial in this field.