Astrophysics/Astronomy Extended Essay -- Trying to figure out a research topic

In summary: I'll try and look into it more and see if I can find something.In summary, an astrophysics extended essay topic for someone in 2021 might be investigating red shift at cosmological distances and how that changed based on the distance.
SoulOfSword_
Homework Statement
Ideas for astrophysics EE
Relevant Equations
Extended essay
Homework Statement: Ideas for astrophysics EE
Homework Equations: Extended essay

Hi Guys!

I'm trying to figure out a research topic in astrophysics/astronomy for my IB extended essay. I don't really know what to do, do any of you any ideas, maybe even off the top of your heads? It needs to be somewhat doable, or at least I can get data for it from google, it can't be completely theoretical.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

SoulOfSword_ said:
Homework Statement: Ideas for astrophysics EE
Homework Equations: Extended essay

Hi Guys!

I'm trying to figure out a research topic in astrophysics/astronomy for my IB extended essay. I don't really know what to do, do any of you any ideas, maybe even off the top of your heads? It needs to be somewhat doable, or at least I can get data for it from google, it can't be completely theoretical.

What year are you in University? What classes have you had so far in astrophysics and astronomy? What have been your favorite areas of study in those subjects? What periodicals do you read regularly? (Physics Today, Science News, others?)

Hi! IB is the International Baccalaureate and goes up to high school. I’m not in university yet. I haven’t yet started to study astrophysics in my physics course (I will do that next year), in fact the extended essay is supposed to be due January 2021. I still have a lot of time, I know, but I just wanted to figure it out now so I could start studying the subject and have some sort of advantage.

Hey @SoulOfSword_ , I am an IB student as well, and I'm conducting my EE in math. Considering your EE is due in 2021, I'm assuming I'm also in your grade level.

The main advice I can give for the EE is to investigate topic on your own, and with your own skills. Search for relevant fields and just look into the Astrophysics option textbook (I would recommend Tsokos). Try and naturally find an interesting topic. You can find your own topic best, and others usually won't be able to do so. Search for what you seem intrinsically curious about.

It might end up being the case that you drift away from astrophysics, or even physics (like I did :P)

lekh2003 said:
Hey @SoulOfSword_ , I am an IB student as well, and I'm conducting my EE in math. Considering your EE is due in 2021, I'm assuming I'm also in your grade level.

The main advice I can give for the EE is to investigate topic on your own, and with your own skills. Search for relevant fields and just look into the Astrophysics option textbook (I would recommend Tsokos). Try and naturally find an interesting topic. You can find your own topic best, and others usually won't be able to do so. Search for what you seem intrinsically curious about.

It might end up being the case that you drift away from astrophysics, or even physics (like I did :P)
Hi @lekh2003! Sorry for the super late response! I thought about it for a while, and came up with an idea. Something regarding red shift at cosmological distances and how that changed based on the distance. I researched about it a bit, but can’t really find any sort of astrophysical database from satellites, observatories, etc. do you have any in mind by any chance?
And yes, we are in the same year group :)

SoulOfSword_ said:
I researched about it a bit, but can’t really find any sort of astrophysical database from satellites, observatories, etc. do you have any in mind by any chance?
And yes, we are in the same year group :)
Honestly, I'm not sure about databases, perhaps some of the other members here have some more knowledge about collecting and gathering information.

@lekh2003 well thanks anyways for the help.

What is astrophysics/astronomy extended essay?

Astrophysics/astronomy extended essay is an in-depth research paper that explores a specific topic in the field of astrophysics or astronomy. It is a requirement for students who are pursuing the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Programme.

What are some potential research topics for astrophysics/astronomy extended essay?

Some potential research topics for astrophysics/astronomy extended essay include the properties of exoplanets, the behavior of black holes, the formation and evolution of galaxies, and the search for extraterrestrial life.

What are the steps involved in writing an astrophysics/astronomy extended essay?

The steps involved in writing an astrophysics/astronomy extended essay include choosing a research topic, conducting thorough research, formulating a research question, developing a methodology, analyzing and interpreting data, and presenting the findings in a clear and organized manner.

What are some useful resources for conducting research for astrophysics/astronomy extended essay?

Some useful resources for conducting research for astrophysics/astronomy extended essay include academic journals, books, online databases, and interviews with experts in the field. Additionally, observatories and research facilities can also provide valuable data and information.

How can I make my astrophysics/astronomy extended essay stand out?

To make your astrophysics/astronomy extended essay stand out, you can choose a unique and relevant research topic, use a variety of reliable sources, present your findings in a clear and concise manner, and include your own analysis and interpretation of the data. It is also important to follow proper formatting and citation guidelines.