1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Astrophysics - Can there be a contact binary from white dwarfs

1. Oct 3, 2005 #1
    Question:

A typical white dwarf has a mass of 1 solar mass and a radius of 10 thousand km. A typical neutron star has a mass of 1.5 solar masses and a radius of 30km. Given that there's a natural speed limit in Nature, namely the speed of light, is it possible to have a contact binary consisting of two white dwarfs (each identical to one another in size and mass)? Same question for two neutron stars.

I was thinking about:

E= (1/2) (mu) (v^2) - GM (mu) /r

I used this with v= speed of light and came up with positive numbers for each set of binaries.

However, considering E= -GM (mu) /2a one would expect the total energy to be negative.

Am I completely wrong in what I have done which leads me to say that no, neither binary is possible because E is not negative?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted