1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Astrophysics/Cosmology books

1. Sep 7, 2004 #1
    Does anyone have any recommendations for good astrophyiscs or cosmology books for general reading (ie. not textbooks!)? I've heard "The Universe in a Nutshell" is pretty poor, but "A Brief History of Time" is better (I think it was that way round not sure). Any others? All I seem to find are textbooks :frown:.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2004 #2

Science Advisor

May be you want to try ‘The First Three Minutes: A Modern View of the Origin of the Universe’ of Steven Weinberg (Nobel laureate). It was written in the late 70’s when cosmology was emerging as a very promising science. I think it is not an easy book and it contains some obsolete parts (at least the old edition), but it is very deep and accurate, without formulas. Personally I found this book fascinating.
  4. Sep 9, 2004 #3
    I'll have a look at that book, thanks :).
  5. Sep 19, 2004 #4
    Any one interested in reading Cosmology must read A book called "Hyperspace" written by Michio Kaku.. The most fascinating and easy to comprehend... Widens the dimensions of our brain...
  6. Sep 19, 2004 #5
    Thanks for that suggestion as well :smile:.
  7. Sep 20, 2004 #6
    There's also Kip Thorne's "Black Holes & Time Warps" and Brian Greene's "The Elegant Universe".
  8. Oct 15, 2004 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Alan Guth's "The Inflationary Universe" is a great history of the development of modern Big Bang theory, provided you have some familiarity with the subject already & enjoy some technical reading.

For a total newcomer, I'd probably go with Sagan's "Cosmos".
  9. Oct 27, 2004 #8
    It's been a while, but I've already got "The Elegant Universe". Great book! Thanks though (to Phobos also) :smile:.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?