Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Astrophysics/Cosmology books

1. Sep 7, 2004 #1
    Does anyone have any recommendations for good astrophyiscs or cosmology books for general reading (ie. not textbooks!)? I've heard "The Universe in a Nutshell" is pretty poor, but "A Brief History of Time" is better (I think it was that way round not sure). Any others? All I seem to find are textbooks :frown:.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2004 #2

hellfire

Science Advisor

May be you want to try ‘The First Three Minutes: A Modern View of the Origin of the Universe’ of Steven Weinberg (Nobel laureate). It was written in the late 70’s when cosmology was emerging as a very promising science. I think it is not an easy book and it contains some obsolete parts (at least the old edition), but it is very deep and accurate, without formulas. Personally I found this book fascinating.

4. Sep 9, 2004 #3
    I'll have a look at that book, thanks :).

5. Sep 19, 2004 #4
    Any one interested in reading Cosmology must read A book called "Hyperspace" written by Michio Kaku.. The most fascinating and easy to comprehend... Widens the dimensions of our brain...

6. Sep 19, 2004 #5
    Thanks for that suggestion as well :smile:.

7. Sep 20, 2004 #6
    There's also Kip Thorne's "Black Holes & Time Warps" and Brian Greene's "The Elegant Universe".

8. Oct 15, 2004 #7

Phobos

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Alan Guth's "The Inflationary Universe" is a great history of the development of modern Big Bang theory, provided you have some familiarity with the subject already & enjoy some technical reading.

For a total newcomer, I'd probably go with Sagan's "Cosmos".

9. Oct 27, 2004 #8
    It's been a while, but I've already got "The Elegant Universe". Great book! Thanks though (to Phobos also) :smile:.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook