Astrophysics Degree While in the Navy

In summary, the conversation is about a person looking for good colleges that offer a Bachelor's degree in Astrophysics through distance learning. They mention being on a sea duty and wanting to get something done before transferring to college. Someone suggests the University of Phoenix, but the person asking the question clarifies that they are looking for an accredited school. Another person recommends checking out the website "Degreeinfo" for more information.
tom.marsland
Hello all -

I was wondering if anyone knew of any GOOD colleges that offered all or at least part of a Bachelor's degree in Astrophysics via distance learning. I'll be transferring to a sea duty here, and could just wait to go straight to college, but I'd like to get at least something done.

Thanks all!

FYI, I'll be out of Norfolk, Virginia

Tom Marsland

Physics news on Phys.org
I was on the Roosevelt for a year a while back and they had a university onboard. I believe it was U of Pheonix.

I don't think you are going to find a bachleors program online. However, there are many colleges that you can get an AA from, most of which will transfer into a bachleors program.

Just make sure it is an acredited school.

Thanks - anyone else know of any online or correspondence/distance learning schools (accredited) that have a Bachelor's or even an associate's degree program in this field?

Thanks

1. What is an astrophysics degree in the Navy?

An astrophysics degree in the Navy is a specialized program that combines the study of astrophysics with military training. It prepares individuals for careers in the Navy that involve researching and analyzing space-related phenomena, as well as utilizing advanced technologies to support naval operations.

2. Can I pursue an astrophysics degree while serving in the Navy?

Yes, it is possible to pursue an astrophysics degree while serving in the Navy. The Navy offers several programs and opportunities for enlisted personnel and officers to earn a degree in astrophysics through distance learning, online courses, and on-campus programs.

3. What are the job opportunities for those with an astrophysics degree in the Navy?

There are various job opportunities for individuals with an astrophysics degree in the Navy. Some possible career paths include working as a space systems officer, space operations officer, space surveillance officer, or as a researcher at the Naval Research Laboratory or other government agencies.

4. What qualifications do I need to have to pursue an astrophysics degree in the Navy?

To pursue an astrophysics degree in the Navy, you must meet the basic eligibility requirements for the Navy, which include being a U.S. citizen, having a high school diploma or equivalent, and meeting physical and medical standards. You may also need to meet specific academic requirements, such as having a certain GPA or completing certain prerequisite courses.

5. How long does it take to earn an astrophysics degree in the Navy?

The length of time it takes to earn an astrophysics degree in the Navy can vary depending on the program and your individual circumstances. Some programs may take 4 years to complete, while others may take longer if you are balancing your studies with other military duties. It is important to discuss your goals and timeline with a Navy recruiter or academic advisor to determine the best path for you.