1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Physics Astrophysics Degree

1. Jan 19, 2017 #1
    I am a sophomore in High School, and I am considering getting a PhD in astrophysics. Is a PhD worth it? Also, what job opportunities will be available to me? Thanks for any feedback : )

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2017 #2

Kai Spackman

Gold Member

Most PhD's lead to further research within a topic. When choosing said topic it is always important to consider whether or not you will enjoy it, as it will usually be the baseline for your carer in general. A PhD will be admired by any job seeker, especially for jobs that involve science.

4. Jan 20, 2017 #3
    Ok, Thanks :P Whats the process like in getting a PhD? Do you apply immediately after entering a collage, or do you need a bachelors degree first?

5. Jan 20, 2017 #4

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

I suggest you look at the So You Want to Be a Physicist thread which is posted next door in our Academic Guidance forum, near the top. Or just click on the link here.

Extremely condensed version (assuming you're in the US):

1. Go to college/university and get a bachelor's degree in physics or astrophysics (4 years). Physics is fine and gives you more flexibility if you change your mind away from astrophysics.

2. During your senior year of college/university, you apply to PhD programs in graduate schools at universities that have research programs in astrophysics to some other area of physics.

3. You spend 6-8 years in grad school. About the first 2 years is mostly coursework, basically what you would take if you were just getting a master's degree. The rest is mostly research related to your PhD.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted