Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Astrophysics FITS format

1. Oct 15, 2007 #1

hie all,

i'm a student and i'm working on a software using FITS file. I need coordinates of galaxies which are stocked in those FITS file. For that i have to use a c++ library then i'll b
    e able to extract them.

i would like to know if somebody has ever code a c++ program using a FITS library like libCCfits ( http://heasarc.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/software/fitsio/ccfits/ ) or know who has already use something else?

to know more about my project EAG, please visit: www.eag-project.net

thank you in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Most people just use cfitsio directly. It's a 'c' lib so you can call it quite easily from C++.
    There isn't a lot of heirarchy in a fits file that benefits from having an object wrapper.

Do you mean you are looking for the coordiantes of galaxies from images in a fits-file or do you mean reading a list of coordinates from a fits table?

Do you really want to write your own software rather than using IRAf or similair?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?