1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Astrophysics for Dummies

1. Aug 5, 2009 #1
    Hey guys! I'm sure this has been asked before, and I hope not so much as to warrant a "use search function!" but my time is somewhat limited.

I'm starting university up again soon and I've been debating between psychology and astrophysics/astronomy. The problem is, my math is lacking -- just slightly -- maybe. The question I have is, what books would any of you suggest? I want to get more of a grasp on the subject's base... that is, a good book I wouldn't have to have my PhD to understand, but would give me a taste of what the subject is like before I walk into my counselor's office to change my major.

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2009 #2
    Are you after math or physics books?

4. Aug 16, 2009 #3
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  5. Aug 17, 2009 #4

nicksauce

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

"The Cosmic Perspective" is a good, almost mathless, introductory astro book. If you know your calculus, then "Introduction to Modern Astrophysics" by Carroll and Ostlie is the best.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook