Discover The Basics of Astrophysics: Top Book Recommendations for Beginners

In summary, the person is seeking book recommendations for either psychology or astrophysics/astronomy as they are considering changing their major in university. They mention their math skills may be lacking and ask for suggestions for books that are easy to understand but still provide a good understanding of the subject. Two book recommendations are provided, one using single variable calculus and the other with minimal math. They also mention "The Cosmic Perspective" and "Introduction to Modern Astrophysics" as potential options.
The Jester
Hey guys! I'm sure this has been asked before, and I hope not so much as to warrant a "use search function!" but my time is somewhat limited.

I'm starting university up again soon and I've been debating between psychology and astrophysics/astronomy. The problem is, my math is lacking -- just slightly -- maybe. The question I have is, what books would any of you suggest? I want to get more of a grasp on the subject's base... that is, a good book I wouldn't have to have my PhD to understand, but would give me a taste of what the subject is like before I walk into my counselor's office to change my major.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you after math or physics books?

"The Cosmic Perspective" is a good, almost mathless, introductory astro book. If you know your calculus, then "Introduction to Modern Astrophysics" by Carroll and Ostlie is the best.

1. What is astrophysics?

Astrophysics is a branch of physics that deals with the study of the physical properties and behavior of objects and phenomena in the universe, such as galaxies, stars, planets, and black holes.

2. Do I need to have a background in physics to understand "Astrophysics for Dummies"?

No, "Astrophysics for Dummies" is written for beginners and assumes no prior knowledge of physics. However, a basic understanding of scientific concepts and mathematical principles may be helpful.

3. What topics are covered in "Astrophysics for Dummies"?

"Astrophysics for Dummies" covers a wide range of topics, including the history of astronomy, the properties and behavior of celestial objects, the laws of physics that govern the universe, and the latest research and discoveries in astrophysics.

4. Is "Astrophysics for Dummies" a reliable source of information?

Yes, "Astrophysics for Dummies" is written and reviewed by experts in the field of astrophysics, ensuring that the information presented is accurate and up-to-date.

5. Can "Astrophysics for Dummies" help me understand complex astrophysical concepts?

Yes, "Astrophysics for Dummies" is designed to break down complex concepts into easy-to-understand explanations, making it a great resource for beginners looking to learn more about astrophysics.