Astrophysics Masters/PhD (1 Viewer)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

I am an undergraduate student of University of Colombo,Sri Lanka.My degree is a mathematics major degree consisting 120 credits at four years of academic years.I have a great enthusiasm in Astronomy/Astrophysics.But I have not studied Physics for my degree.Can I go for a Astrophysics Masters/PhD (in USA) having this degree as my basic degree?what should i do?

Thanks
/Buddhika

It would be possible to go directly to an astronomy/astrophysics program---but generally it would need the agreement and assistance of a professor who specifically accepted you to the program.

There are two options I'd suggest investigating:
1) looks into masters programs in applied mathematics---once in one of those programs, you could take classes in physics, and re-apply to astronomy/astrophysics programs after a year or two
2) take enough classes in physics to take the physics-GRE (graduate record examination); I'm not sure if you're familiar with it or not, but in the US, the physics-GRE is the standard prerequisite examination to get into physics grad-schools.

Thank you very much for ur info.And please let me know if u get to know anythin new about this matter. :)

cristo

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
How much physics have you done in your undergrad degree? If you've done enough to be able to do well in the physics GRE then I don't see why you couldn't, in principle, be accepted (though, I'm not from the US, so take this with a pinch of salt).

hey i'm from sri lanka too. just completed my special degree in physics and am planning to do astrophysics too. when i was scrolling through US universities, saw some unis offering astrophysics for mathematicians. don't remember the names of the unis, but u can take a look at the peterson's website. hope this helps

The Physics Forums Way

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving